The first ever Arri

GeorgeSelinsky

I was just crusing around doing one of my favorite pasttimes, looking at old cameras, and I found what appears to be one of the first 35mm cameras made by Arri in 1925....

kinarri.jpg

I'd love to show up with that to the set one day, it looks way more awesome than anything out there today, film or digital.

- G.

• 4 weeks later...

You want to feel really sick?I had an old boss,owner of the film lab I worked back in the late 70's,actually owned that very model camera.He was about 75 then,he was a news rell shooter back in the 30's and 40's,used one of those as well as Bell and Howell Eyemo.

He suffered Alzheimer's Disease after the lab closed and he retired.All of his old equipment was swallowed up and sold for next to nothing,have no idea what became of his old cameras.

Marty

I was just crusing around doing one of my favorite pasttimes, looking at old cameras, and I found what appears to be one of the first 35mm cameras made by Arri in 1925....

George,is that camera a reflex?I don't see a separate VF.

Marty

Most definitely not, this was before they invented the reflex shutter, which was sometime in the thirties if I'm not mistaken. This camera goes back to 1925. I just love its shape, like a cookie tin. Probably weighed much more I imagine :blink:

- G.

Now that you mention it,I think the book,The Light on Her Face mentions that.It was sometime before sound that a German company,not Arriflex came up with a prototype of a spinning mirror shutter camera.It didn't catch on at the time.

Marty