Soliciting your $.02 on the new Sony HVR-Z1

Ed Nyankori

My DVX100p is getting pretty beat up so Im looking into other options. Right now my main need for a camera is shooting narrative fiction film. Im building my skill, reel, etc. But Im willing to rent it out for other stuff...Thanks for any advice or opinions from people who have actually used it; Ive read $5000 worth of reviews and the like. Also Ive gotten a peak at the camera side by side with a Sony Beta SP, Sony F900, Dvx100a and HVR-Z1.

I got to check one out recently at a rental house and there is no doubt that for 60i video that camera is killer. However, I almost never need or want to shoot 60i and the CineFrame mode just didn't do it for me. They should've went with true 24p somehow. IMO that makes the camera useless. But other people have other ideas and needs.

• Premium Member

The only reason to upgrade to the HDV is if you want more resolution. The DVX100a still blows the HDV out the water when it comes to Gamma settings, Latitude and Visual Control of the image.

Sony's Pseudo 24p sucks and doesn't come close to the TRUE 24p you get with the DVX.

Stick with the DVX for the moment. You never know Panasonic may well hint at a newer model in a few weeks time at NAB, so it's not too long to wait before you blow your cash on the HDV.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does everyone need to use 24p on the HVR-Z1? Isn't this frame rate used primarily for transfer to film? Is everyone getting these things for transfer to 35mm. for theatrical release? Also, don't you need special monitors to review video shot at 24p, or can the camera play it back as 60i through some kind of emulation?

I ask because I am planning to shoot a video documentary about dolphins and would like to do it in the HD format, if possible. I grew up shooting film, so video is still somewhat new to me. Any answers would be deeply appreciated. :blink:

Why does everyone need to use 24p on the HVR-Z1? Isn't this frame rate used primarily for transfer to film? Is everyone getting these things for transfer to 35mm. for theatrical release? Also, don't you need special monitors to review video shot at 24p, or can the camera play it back as 60i through some kind of emulation?

I ask because I am planning to shoot a video documentary about dolphins and would like to do it in the HD format, if possible. I grew up shooting film, so video is still somewhat new to me. Any answers would be deeply appreciated. :blink:

\

I'm kind of a newbie to all this stuff, but this is my 2 cents. 24p is the frame rate of high-budget movies so the eye is predisposed to thinking something is beautiful, expensive, artful, if it is shot in 24. If you want clear, sharp, video, can't go wrong with these new, amazingly inexpensive HD video cameras from Sony. The video will look nothing like film, however.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well,

60i looks like television and 24p looks like a movie in terms of movement in the image. I shoot with an XL1s which has a 30p option. I think the footage looks more artisitic with the "progressive" setting. 24p is editable as NTSC (and probably PAL too but I don't know for sure) footage if a certain pulldown is used and it's available with most non-linear editors.

AT

• Premium Member
I think the footage looks more artisitic with the "progressive" setting.

More artistic? How? Maybe more familiar. Thats like saying, "I feel more artistic because I paint with oils instead of acrylics."

• Premium Member

In the first post he said he intended to use the camera for "narrative fiction" so in context 24p would look more artistic or more familiar or more whatever than 60i.

Guest Peter Waal

I've spoken to some people in the DI business, and from what they've seen this camera doesn't cut it, if you're looking to make a 35 mm print from the footage. Lack of a true 24p capture is the main problem. I know you can shoot 50i and mess around in post to get a "film look," but the results, transfered to 35 mm, still look half-baked, compared to HDW 900 footage shot at 24p.

Sony's not going to come out with a prosumer HD camera with true 24p until they've finished amortizing their HDW 900 series. Who knows when that'll be?

The holy grail of indie cinema is a camera with at least 1080 resolution and true 24p functionality, priced under $10,000. The FX1 ain't it.

Guest Rod Allen

See, the thing is, I like the video look, so for me the HDR-FX1 doesn't suffer from looking like a video camera. I know this is the cinematography forum, but among other things gate weave gives me a big problem with film. I shoot actuality rather than fiction, so my preferences work better for me. But to attack the HDR-FX1 because it looks like a video camera doesn't make much sense to me. (Probably my film experience works against me -- at one stage we were making current affairs programmes at LWT on 16mm reversal, and every time a splice went through it made me wince!)

Chacun à son gout, as they say.

Rod

Gate weave and splices?

What exactly are you guys doing?

What is the post workflow?

Yeah really good question !!

Your scenario hardly suggests you've done anything like a subjective comparison.

(I have no agenda whatsoever as far as you shooting film or video).

I've shot lots of "actuality" on film. Works fine.

If you're talking about the "look of TV current afairs programs" well then OK..

-Sam