Advice on shooting KodakVision 2 5201 50D

Hello all,

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have a shoot where all exterior scenes are being shot on Vision 2 5201 50D. The shoot spans the length of the whole day and the suggestion came up to overexpose across the board 1 stop, but I'm not so sure given its already pretty slow - does anyone have any advice on this particular stock, and what the potential results would be in pulling it one stop?

J

• Premium Member

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have a shoot where all exterior scenes are being shot on Vision 2 5201 50D. The shoot spans the length of the whole day and the suggestion came up to overexpose across the board 1 stop, but I'm not so sure given its already pretty slow

Hi John,

if you prefer a negative that is a little more dense you could rate it at ISO 40. But I wouldn't overexpose it by one stop. On 5201 you'll hardly notice any grain so the usual 2/3rd over used for 500T isn't neccesary either. I'd really suggest getting some 5207 as well, because 50D will not be much fun in the morning and late afternoon. I learned that quite the hard way in Cape Town last year. I only had 7219 and 7201, but I was lucky to have a f1.1 lens!

Regards, Dave

Hi John,

if you prefer a negative that is a little more dense you could rate it at ISO 40. But I wouldn't overexpose it by one stop. On 5201 you'll hardly notice any grain so the usual 2/3rd over used for 500T isn't neccesary either. I'd really suggest getting some 5207 as well, because 50D will not be much fun in the morning and late afternoon. I learned that quite the hard way in Cape Town last year. I only had 7219 and 7201, but I was lucky to have a f1.1 lens!

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I think a f1.1 lens for the magic hours is a good idea! As you say some 5207 would be wise. Do you think a 1 1/2 stop overexposure would match the grain OK or it doesn't even need to be taken that far?

J

• Premium Member

Do you think a 1 1/2 stop overexposure would match the grain OK or it doesn't even need to be taken that far?

You can't change a film stock's grain. Period. What you can do on high speed film is activate smaller grains by overexposing. These smaller grains will then fill the space between the larger grains and make the grain structure less apparent. The only way to reduce grain is in post. But since you're shooting 35mm this won't really matter.

Regards, Dave