Ultra 16mm 2K/HD Up and Running!

Paul Korver

• Premium Member

Well they said it couldn't be done... modifiying the Spirit's S16mm gate to be able to transfer Ultra 16mm. But after 3 months of tinkering with our new Spirit I'm happy to report that we figured it out. Cinelicious is now offering HD/2K Ultra sharp Ultra 16mm scans and telecine. Will post some footage next week.

-Paul

• Premium Member

I get the impression that you could probably have done better for glass on that test - but then it is just a Scoopic. You might hit some limitations, I guess, on which cameras handle the perf area gently enough to get away with doing this.

Are there any other cameras you could modify to do this, possibly cameras that might let you use better glass? Given that and some nice slow stock, maybe you'd have something you could DI out to 35 and have it look pretty respectable.

P

• Premium Member

Hey Vincent - Stop by any time. We'd love to give you a tour of the new facility. It's looking good but we're just getting started. Just got plans approved for the 2K/4K & 3D DI theater w/20' screen.

Phil (and Vincent) - Saul was correct. That demo clip was transferred on our URSA Diamond via the "Diamond Clear HD" uprez. It looks pretty good & better than SD but in the end it is an uprez so not as sharp as what the Spirit can put out. The challenge when we got the Spirit in January was to figure out a way to modify the gate without breaking it (it's pretty darn expensive to replace). Risky stuff but it paid off. The new clip I was going to post will be from the Spirit. I'll try to get footage taken from a different camera but I only own Ultra 16mm Scoopics. Phi - there is a list at the bottom of our Ultra 16mm page that shows the various cameras that are good canditates for Ultra 16mm mods. I'm not sure what type of glass each one of those cameras take but surely some of them would be sharper than a Scoopic (keeping in mind that some lack of sharpness could be due to the transfer).

Best,

Paul

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Didn't you see this? http://vimeo.com/12429314

Oh yes, I forgot... even though I was one of the models in the shot. ; )

Never seen Tri-X look that good telecined. Sometimes I forget how a good colorist can make B&W sing. Slow motion looks great.

Did Jessica tape up the Scoopic? I'm getting a pulsing in slow motion on a Scoopic and I'm wondering if it could be a light leak somewhere on the edge of the film compartment that only shows up in a higher camera speed. I usually don't tape up/seal the film compartment and wondered if it might make a difference.

Sending my Scoopics off to Bernie this week for the U16 mod. I may have to send some test reels to you since no houses in Dallas can handle U16. I'll have him investigate the pulsing issue as well.

• Premium Member

Oh yes, I forgot... even though I was one of the models in the shot. ; )

Never seen Tri-X look that good telecined. Sometimes I forget how a good colorist can make B&W sing. Slow motion looks great.

Did Jessica tape up the Scoopic? I'm getting a pulsing in slow motion on a Scoopic and I'm wondering if it could be a light leak somewhere on the edge of the film compartment that only shows up in a higher camera speed. I usually don't tape up/seal the film compartment and wondered if it might make a difference.

Sending my Scoopics off to Bernie this week for the U16 mod. I may have to send some test reels to you since no houses in Dallas can handle U16. I'll have him investigate the pulsing issue as well.

Yeah... Andy did a great job. Scoopics can be a bit of a crap shoot when shooting slow motion. Some are rock solid, others aren't. I haven't seen pulsing but more registration issues with some Sccopics at 48 or 64 fps.

Congrats on the new mod!