Need advice on shoot location

For a short in NYC need doctor's office/prison cell location... what can be easily turned to look like it? look/feel should be "dungeony"

I was thinking to try to see if I can get public school to shoot over the weekend. Almost all NYC P.S are old and could be made to look like prison cell... . a real prison cell would be awesome but I doubt I can get that. any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated...

I'd go with a basement for the jail cell. You don't get ambient light from windows. If you can find one with a long hallway and a few doors, just give the place a few nicely exposed pools of light and some fill, then leave the rest up to the production designer (or vice versa)

• Premium Member

I'd go with a basement for the jail cell. You don't get ambient light from windows. If you can find one with a long hallway and a few doors, just give the place a few nicely exposed pools of light and some fill, then leave the rest up to the production designer (or vice versa)

That's exactly what we did here: http://www.vimeo.com/3091604 Jump ahead to 3:30, password is "reels".

• Premium Member

Thanks- the jail bars were in two large sections made from wood dowels and I think 1x2s . You're actually seeing the same wall through that whole sequence, we "flipped" the set pieces for the reverse angle. The other side of the basement had a water heater and shelving units. The door in the background is fake- it was only about 5 feet tall. Lighting was minimal, 4 fixtures and the door had an LED light behind the window and the red bulb above it. I can whip up a diagram if you're interested...

One other suggestion- per forum rules you need to change your user name to your real name. 'Cause someone's guaranteed to snap on ya if you don't! :)

Sean-

Thanks- the jail bars were in two large sections made from wood dowels and I think 1x2s . You're actually seeing the same wall through that whole sequence, we "flipped" the set pieces for the reverse angle. The other side of the basement had a water heater and shelving units. The door in the background is fake- it was only about 5 feet tall. Lighting was minimal, 4 fixtures and the door had an LED light behind the window and the red bulb above it. I can whip up a diagram if you're interested...

One other suggestion- per forum rules you need to change your user name to your real name. 'Cause someone's guaranteed to snap on ya if you don't! :)

Sean-

Diagram Please...

• 2 weeks later...

The "old" Essex County Jail In Newark has been abandoned and open for more than twenty years. It's up near Washington Street? above the N.J.I.T. campus. The cells are open and still have their bars and doors. You can walk right in. Can't get more authentic than that. Google it on the web.

The "old" Essex County Jail In Newark has been abandoned and open for more than twenty years. It's up near Washington Street? above the N.J.I.T. campus. The cells are open and still have their bars and doors. You can walk right in. Can't get more authentic than that. Google it on the web.

Excellent idea JD. Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? Here is the link to the pictures - http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/essex_county_jail_annex.htm

I know you're an experienced gaffer and I would like to discuss this project with you. I will PM you with some details.