panasonic dvx-100

uri akerman

• Premium Member
Hello there...

I'm about to work on a digital feature with the Panasonic DVX-100, and the director wants to transfer it into film, so will this camera will be the right one?

Well, can you afford a better one anyway?

I'm mean, if you can, the next step up would be the Panasonic SDX900; after that, an HD camera like the Varicam or F900.

My two cents, which are probably worth more like one, are if you know for sure that you need to finish on film rent a film camera and shoot film. I would use the DVX over the SDX, because the gain in quality to me doesn't justify the additional cost. If you have a budget to rent equipment, get your project though post, and are set on using digital technology then rent high def. If the DVX is all that your budget will allow them go with it. I own one and use it all the time. With most festivals offering digital projection now days why does the director even want to finish on film? You asked the question, "is this the right camera?" as with anything you should get the best that you can afford, but if it's good enough for Steve Buscemi's latest flick then it should do what you want it to.

If The DVX-100a is the only camera you can afford

Then I don't think you'll be able to afford to transfer to film

It's just realistically speaking... :huh:

You don't have to be pessimistic but just be realistic

(something many new filmmakers lack)

Agreed. The cost to blow up to 35mm is anywhere from $40,000 to $120,000... Comparatively, you BUY a Varicam for a good $60,000 used... Or shoot 35mm on an Arri for... well, it depends on a lot. But shooting DV with plans to blow up to 35mm is not a wise financial choice.