my recent film, "Eve's Song" final edit

Gareth Blackstock

I have just uploaded the final edit of my film "Eve's Song", although there are a couple of minor things yet to fix, It is ready to start having the sound and dialogue added.

I would be interested in what comments people might have, as always comments are handy as a way of thinking harder about why I have done things a particular way.

Hopefully the film is interesting enough to be watched for the full 25 minutes. Not exactly a short film as I intended, but not too bad for less the $2500.

Cheers, Gareth

• Premium Member

I have just uploaded the final edit of my film "Eve's Song", although there are a couple of minor things yet to fix, It is ready to start having the sound and dialogue added.

I would be interested in what comments people might have, as always comments are handy as a way of thinking harder about why I have done things a particular way.

Hopefully the film is interesting enough to be watched for the full 25 minutes. Not exactly a short film as I intended, but not too bad for less the $2500.

Cheers, Gareth

Very nice!

You do a good job of telling the story visually and making it feel like a period piece (not an easy thing to do, even on a big budget.) The shots were nicely composed and the interior lighting was great. This screams out for title screens intercut between the shots (just like a film from the silent era) and a melodious soundtrack.

Otherwise, nice job!

Really good, I like the tension between the two characters in the context of the relentless 'on going' work. There are really great opportunities for the sound design which (with the music) will make this film come alive. I hope you have good foley artist/s on hand also hope you recorded some nice atmos at the location. Looking forward to the finished article. Also really good to see someone using super 8 to tell a story, i think its probably more suitable to this story than any other format would be.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I am working with a couple of musicians at the moment on a subtle soundtrack, wavering in intensity. I am very keen on an electric guitar being the sole instrument, and strained whine, like wind and conflict, against sounds of the australian crow which is far from sweet sounding.

The closest I can describe the soundtrack, is a muted example of the guitar used in "sling blade" at the very end when the main character is contemplating murder. it will be a challenge, but I think the soundtrack will completment the conflict I tried to portray in the film. I hope...

And it will be the last time I use Super8, I lost a whole cart to jitters, and almost lost a scene to premature exposure to light when the lab opened the cart.

thanks for looking!

cheers, Gareth

excellent job. beautifully photographed. I especially like the stuff towards the end when she is letting him in, lit only by the lantern. The stock did a good job dealing with the contrast. did you color correct any of interiors or any other part? Can you put a small clip of higher res footage. I'd love to see what it looks like with less compression.

Thanks for that,

I was quite happy with the lantern shot. Outside the house I under exposed right down, as it was shot in strong daylight. Interior I used no filters for the lantern shot, but we had difficulty pointing the lantern in the right direction, as it had a 500watt bulb built into it, and tin foil on one side to help throw the light. I have no corrected any other interiors, as I wanted the orange glow to help simulate a setting sun, only when shooting a morning scene did we use a blue filter.

I will try to put up a high res shot or two, until then I have a link below to some stills from the film.

http://mishpics.yolasite.com/eves-song.php

thanks for looking, Gareth

• Premium Member

Thanks for that,

I was quite happy with the lantern shot. Outside the house I under exposed right down, as it was shot in strong daylight. Interior I used no filters for the lantern shot, but we had difficulty pointing the lantern in the right direction, as it had a 500watt bulb built into it, and tin foil on one side to help throw the light. I have no corrected any other interiors, as I wanted the orange glow to help simulate a setting sun, only when shooting a morning scene did we use a blue filter.

I will try to put up a high res shot or two, until then I have a link below to some stills from the film.

http://mishpics.yolasite.com/eves-song.php

thanks for looking, Gareth

Yup...those warmly-lit lantern shots are my favorites. Nice job!

• Premium Member

And don't be too quick to scrap Super 8. There are always mishaps, but I've rarely seen a Super 8 film shot so beautifully. If you upgrade to 16mm, that's one thing, but stick with film. Don't dump film for video...we have enough people doing that!