speed of camera movements

Jim Nelson

• Premium Member

Hi,

Can someone please help me out.

What kind of mood/feeling does fast camera movement create?

And what kind of mood does slow camera movement create?

Thanks for your help. :)

Look at movies that use that sort of camera movement. For instance: "Hurt Locker" for shaky cam, "The Devil Wears Prada" for studied looks.

I could tell you my opinion on the subject but watching some films and seeing where different techniques are used will educate you as to what the people making features think appropriate to different content.

Hi,

When I said fast camera movements, I was refering to both smooth movements (like dolly and steadycam) and also handheld/shaky shots. I just wanted to have a clear idea of what fast camera movements and slow camera movements suggests.

For example: in The Dark Knight, when the Joker crashes the party the camera goes fast and smoothly around the Joker and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Also in some movies we dolly slowly into the subject and other times we dolly quickly into them. I just wanted to know what feeling/mood the speed of the movement conveys.

Thanks for your help :)

What do these moves convey to you? You see them in many films and you must sense what each scene is about from the acting and the story, so you must emotionally sense if these moves enhance or detract from the emotions that the actors are conveying. The performance of the actors within a scene and the camera moves are often interrelated.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you'd find the following course interesting or not...I've not done it myself, but from what I've seen, its a comprehensive look at how to move the camera in relation to actors and the effect that has, ie what mood it conveys to the audience when you move the camera in a certain way. They acknowledge that experienced directors do this sort of thing intuitively/instinctively but do attempt to teach newcomers what emotion the moving camera conveys and how to avoid doing it at the wrong time and giving mixed signals to the audience.

They've also used expressionless 3D model characters in their tutorials purposefully so that all the emotional impact has to come from the camera in the tutorial to kind of solidify the importance and effect that the camera can have in giving cues to the audience.

You can check it here:

The Master Course In High-End Blocking & Staging

I'm not sure if you'd find the following course interesting or not...I've not done it myself, but from what I've seen, its a comprehensive look at how to move the camera in relation to actors and the effect that has, ie what mood it conveys to the audience when you move the camera in a certain way. They acknowledge that experienced directors do this sort of thing intuitively/instinctively but do attempt to teach newcomers what emotion the moving camera conveys and how to avoid doing it at the wrong time and giving mixed signals to the audience.

You need to use your real name, it's one of the rules of the forum.