ARRI SR-2

Dustan Lewis McBain

I was wondering how accurate the viewfinder was in regards to color, exposer and focal distance.

I had just finished a shoot with the sr-2, and i did all the measurements, however when i looked into the view finder i found that i didn't like the image.(I have done other shoots where the measurements looked beautiful.) However this particular shoot, sometimes it looked underexposed. So i would change the settings to what I found decent.

For film, would I be in trouble if I went into the viewfinder and messed around until i liked the image, or do i need to do the measurements and stick to that.

Is what im seeing in the viewfinder going to look the same on the film.

thank you,

Dustan Lewis McBain

Now, I am only a recent graduate and have shot on the SR-2 a handful of times at best, so anyone more experienced please chime in, but I wouldn't use the viewfinder for anything more than focus and framing. When you look into the viewfinder what you are seeing is a reflected image off of the mirrored shutter, so with color you are only getting half of the story: the color as it comes through the lens, how the film will affect that has a lot to do with the stock you use. And I would NEVER trust the viewfinder for exposure. That has to do with the speed of filmstock you are using, and I imagine only a seasoned pro would know how that relates to the image they see in the viewfinder.

So yes, you would be in a lot of trouble if you messed around until you liked the image, this isn't video.

• Premium Member

Exactly right, Matthew. A video split will also take light from the viewfinder. In film-land even focus is preferably achieved by measurement and the lens scale, rather than the viewfinder. Cine lenses have very accurate distance markings for this reason.