Rates around the world

• Premium Member

I've had some interesting discussions with various DP's around the world about daily rates and benefits obtained from unions subscriptions. I'd be interested to know from DP's in as many countries as possible what the 'going rate' for a good DP is on promo's/commercials/features (the biggest variant it seems)

Personally I work solely on commercials as a matter of preference. Although I left the Union here some years ago after a falling out (thanks for nothing Maggie Thatcher), I do use their recommended rate as my own which is currently £1062 for 10 hours.

I'm interested to see how this compares worldwide, US rates seem to have the widest spread.......?

• Premium Member

I think $4000-5000 rates are quite common in some areas of the US. I friend of mine regularly gets $4000 a day and he hasn't been shooting in the US for more then a year, so the "big" guys probably get more.

Yes, Tony, I also get £1062, which I think is a bit low, actually. Rates have stood still for years - my fellow DP's in Sweden regularly make more than I do here.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
Any more? would like a more accurate picyure of US rates by region.

Just because you were asking about worldwide prices,

here in Greece in commercials is about 1500 euros /day on a ten hour basis.

But when is lower budgets and video u can see with 700 euros too.

For a tv series drama, on video , they give as little as 3000 euros per month, on an eleven months contract.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Just because you were asking about worldwide prices,

here in Greece in commercials is about 1500 euros /day on a ten hour basis.

But when is lower budgets and video u can see with 700 euros too.

For a tv series drama, on video , they give as little as 3000 euros per month, on an eleven months contract.

Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios,

What are average earnings in Greece? Is 3000 euros good pay in other businesses?

Stephen

• Premium Member
Dimitrios,

What are average earnings in Greece? Is 3000 euros good pay in other businesses?

Stephen

Amazing. The Uk really struggles, part of the reason given is crew wages (only around 15% of any budget). Interrsting then that we appear to be no more expensive than anywhere else.

• Premium Member
Tony,

Your work is incredible. I just saw your website. I loved the Airbus, Peugeot 'Exorcist', American Beauty and Glenfiddich frame grabs. Amazing. Any motion pictures under your belt (forgive the ignorance)?

-Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan.

No films to date, I prefer commercials, but who knows if the right thing came up....

• Premium Member
Dimitrios,

Stephen

Stephen,

This isn't a union rate, it's my rate.And it is applied only for commercial jobs.

For a tv advert/comercial the rates are from 700 euros/day on a 12 hour basis, to 1500 euros.

The D.o.P. rates are much different that the ones of a lighting designer in a tv studio for example, where they give you the humble 2900 euros/month!

It's just that in a tv drama, or soap opera, u think about the time of the contract wich is the least 11 months.

Also it gives you the weekends to do any other jobs that they might show up.

On the other hand usually we arranging ''fix'' rates for a feature film, my rate is about 14000 euros on a 10-11 hour basis.

Basic wages here are about 700 euros /month if you are working in a bookstore for example.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
For a tv advert/comercial the rates are from 700 euros/day on a 12 hour basis, to 1500 euros.

Basic wages here are about 700 euros /month if you are working in a bookstore for example.

Dimitrios Koukas

Hi,

Dimitrios,

For a commercial 700-1500 is the general range in Switzerland. It may be one of the richeat countries in the world per capita. However with a population of 7 million and 3 main launguages! Everything has to be finished in 3 languages and different packshots! The jobs I get with a decent budget are International commercials.

I guess basic wages are nearer 2800 euro's per month, depending on where you live.

Stephen

In LA the commercial rates seem to be 2500/12 at the low end and up to 5000/10 at the high end. But when I say high end I'm talking about Oscar winning ASC DPs and a few top commercial guys. Average commercial rate is 3500/10. Though these days they all want it on a 12 hour or flat rate and only want to pay half day for tech recce.

• Premium Member

Funny, I was just talking to an operator friend of mine who was telling me about a DP that got $11,000/day on a 10 day shoot recently. He didn't want to do the job so he told his agent to keep raising the rate until they stopped calling. When they got up to $11,000 I guess he reconsidered. I won't mention the name of the DP because this isn't public information, but he is a well known ASC member, but not an Oscar winner. About 5 or 6 years ago when I was doing a lot of commercials I remember that $5000/day was considered to be the top of the pay scale. I'm sure it's gone up for quite a few people in that time, although I doubt very many have ever gotten $11,000/day. Nice work if you can get it!

• Premium Member
Hi,

Dimitrios,

For a commercial 700-1500 is the general range in Switzerland. It may be one of the richeat countries in the world per capita. However with a population of 7 million and 3 main launguages! Everything has to be finished in 3 languages and different packshots! The jobs I get with a decent budget are International commercials.

I guess basic wages are nearer 2800 euro's per month, depending on where you live.

Stephen

Hello stephen!

I believe that you are doing the direction in some commercials too?

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Hello stephen!

I believe that you are doing the direction in some commercials too?

Dimitrios Koukas

Hi,

Mainly in the very low budget ones! When I choose to shoot 35mm instead of Digibeta.

The budget for camera equipment, film, processing and telecine can be as low as USD1800! I only shoot like that if I want the shot for my reel.

It's quite funny I did a pitch on film free of charge, and won the job. Then the producer wanted to save money and shoot on video!

Stephen

• 2 months later...
Guest lostvikings

Hello Friends,

the rates that u guys mentioned are pretty decent in comparison to wut u get paid here in india.there's one thing i need to ask are those rates applicable to all DPs irrespective of them being known on not.

In india a top DP wud get paid approx 2000 euros for a 12 hour day...these are the rates for ad films where as in television they get paid 1600 euros a month.

The union here is just to make money and not lend any support to DPs.i guess things are better abroad.

Santosh