RED, night shoot problem.

Tadeusz Kieniewicz

Hi all!

I'm preapering for shoort which I want to shoot on RED system with ZEISS CP.2 Half of story is situated in night exterior - city streets. There is one scene where guy is riding bicycle and talk on a cellphone with someone. This is my problem because I want to feel free with these shoots i mean I want to ride next to actor and shoot him for about 5 to 10 minutes from diferent angles(quad with steadicam). I know that street's aren't lit well and I don't have much options to lit it by my source.

I'm thinking of other camera like EX3 or F900r, 7D which is more sensitive than RED.

Other night shoots i will shoot with RED cuz I have chance to lit it by strong source's. This will be my first time with RED.Is it better to choose more sensitive camera and shoot free style on street or stay with RED and try to lit a street... Could anyone recomend me an option or how to figure it out?and what you guyes do in case like these? maybe I'm not seeing something? I think I need help from cinematgraphy readers:)

Sory for my language and hope you didn't waste your time.

Ted. Warsaw.

• Premium Member

Well if you're riding along with him, why not try just mounting a soft source along with you, like a Kino on the quad? Depends how "real" you want/need it to look and how bright your streets are. I can pull around a T1.3 @500 ASA here in Phila at night without supplemental lighting.