First time 35mm Camera Operating

John Hooper

Hi,

I'm a DOP been shooting 5 years or so across all disciplines but trying to focus on narrative drama. I've shot a couple of very low budget features on HD or RED and have been on bigger 35mm film sets in lower capacities. I've shot some s16mm but no 35mm. I always operate myself.

I need some advice now though, as at the end of the year I start my first job as a Camera Operator on a 35mm feature shooting in the UK, with an experienced DOP. I need some advice on how to be a good camera operator for someone else. Any tips?

Also, I understand the roles of DOP and assistant much better than the camera operator role. As Camera Op how much am I expected to be involved in pre-production? camera testing? How does the camera op fit in on-set? How closely would a camera op ordinarily work with the DP? Would they be involved with shot selection and planning either in advance or on the day, or more just operating the camera to achieve the results the DOP wants?

I would just expect to listen to the DP. Do what he or she asks. But also keep a low profile. Don't usurp your boss. Listen to the conversations the Dp has with the director. Or you may catch something the directors asks for when the DP is off lighting. Focus on your framing and operating. You may be asking for the stand in's and rehearsing the shots without the DP. Get along with your camera assistants and especially your dolly grip. And just keep the equipment out of the shots. Most of this stuff you probably already know.

Have fun.