Codec errors

Edgar Dubrovskiy

Hi guys.

Was ACing on a shoot yesterday night.

RED MX, Build 30. Titled 90 degrees for a portrait shots - shooting a look-book.

And then after third slate started to get "Codec Error". Shooting on hard drives - swap them - same error. Reboot - same error.

Only going to cards solved the problem. But then, while formatting one of them, camera froze. But that's another story. Have to say - usual stuff, unfortunately...

Haven't had time for the logs. Should have, I know. But we were shooting live. London Fashion Week. Unfortunately Live and RED is not the best combination.

Any comments, guys?

What is the "Codec error"? Research mentioned that it's to do with amount of fine detail in shot. is it true?

If it is... it's a bit of a joke, really.

• Premium Member

Was there loud music with a lot of thumping bass, or a lot of people screaming and cheering, etc.? Vibrations cause the hard drives to drop frames, hence the codec errors. I had the same problem during a pep rally scene in "Stay Cool", had to switch to cards. Basically, I would only use Red RAMs and CF cards now on a Red shoot.

• Premium Member

No, no noise at all, really...

David, did you make the decision about using RAM/cards on any Red shoots now?

Sure, that's a basic part of my job, putting the package together. I may have a few Red Drives on the package as back-ups or for a "C" camera that comes in on a dialogue scene, but otherwise, I'm always going to make the argument that the primary means of recording should be RAMs and CF cards due to the vibration problems. When I did that Red One-shot police drama pilot in Chicago this spring, it was a no-brainer to avoid Red Drives since we were running around town in cars and whatnot.