from my past

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Jon Macht posted this photo on Facebook of a painting I did back in college, part of some efx work I did for his USC student film (though I was at UCLA at the time getting an English Lit BA). Back then, I was interested into going into visual efx work and built models and did matte paintings:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31747291&id=1270522323&ref=fbx_album

• Premium Member

Hi David,

That's really quite well done. I studied painting in my youth (and still like to paint) so I'm biased and can't help thinking that a knowledge of painting is indispensable to cinematographers. Vermeer, Rembrandt, Caravaggio and many others have all influenced the greats. You must have spent some time honing your skills in colour mixing and tonal control to be able to create that work, not to mention wrestling with the challenge of composition.

Could I ask you two questions?

Do you have any painters that have influenced or inspired you in your cinematography?

Given the subject of your painting, and remembering an older thread in which you admitted to being a fan of sci-fi, are you hankering to shoot a sci-fi film? (The Astronaut Farmer doesn't count, even if it had a rocket :P )

• Premium Member

Ah, back when visual effects meant getting your hands dirty... sigh... Very nice work! What was the medium?

The paint was acrylic. The short film itself was shot in 16mm b&w neg though; I put together a number of kit space shuttle models in different scales plus built a space station model, a hanger model, and some paintings of the Earth.

• Premium Member

Do you have any painters that have influenced or inspired you in your cinematography?

Given the subject of your painting, and remembering an older thread in which you admitted to being a fan of sci-fi, are you hankering to shoot a sci-fi film? (The Astronaut Farmer doesn't count, even if it had a rocket :P )

The usual suspects (Hopper, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Sargent, etc.), though as a child I was obsessed with Leonardo DaVinci.

Sure, I'm still hankering to shoot a hardcore sci-fi film.