Persons Reflection In Window (interior)

Gene  Warriner

Hey!

I'm just wondering how i need to light in order to get the reflection of a persons face in a window that will be a focus pull also, to a man walking down a street.

I have attached this photo just to show what i am going for. But i'll be going over the shoulder so you'll only see the face in the window.

I've looked over the site for a similar question but didn't find anything.

Cheers

Gene Warriner

You need to ensure that the person being reflected has a sufficient level of illumination and the area outside window is dark enough for a reflection to register. You usually see this effect at night rather than bright daylight, but it does happen when someone is close enough to the window and say sunlight is hitting them.

• Premium Member

Another thing to think about is how much reflectance the window has. Plain glass tends to transmit a lot of light and reflect fairly little. The energy saving film coatings you can get at Home Depot make it reflect more and transmit less. There are a few different densities available. It might be something to test. Also, watch out for the double pane glass in newer buildings, you might get a really ugly double reflection that puts ghost edges on everything.

-- J.S.