Bolex Turret stuck

Joel Coe

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone encountered similar issue, but I have Bolex RX5 converted to Super 16 and it seems that its turret is not moving. I don't want to pull the handle up or down because I'm 'scared' not to break anything.

Is there any way to loosed that up, or, could it be the case that during the conversion they fixed the turret in one place? I hope that's not the issue.

I'd appreciate any help here, puleeease.:)

• Premium Member

I'm not sure how familiar you are with a Bolex, so I'll start with the simplest explanation. The bottom lens port cover screws into the plate behind the turret, so if that cover is in place it will lock the turret.

If you have removed that port cover, and released the pivoting lock that clamps onto the top right of the turret, it should be free to turn.

If the S16 conversion locked the turret in place it was a very poor job and whoever did it should be banned from ever touching a camera again. You need to be able to swing the turret around to access and clean the prism.

• Premium Member

It takes a little force to surmount the turret’s clicks. If you know so far, is there a fixing cap (red lacquer ring) screwed in the turret? Have you loosened the turret clamp? Do you have a lens screwed on that protrudes into the lower turret plate?