hi guys,

i have to send my showreel to a company in around two weeks, so far i have a few really nice shots on my reel, but the reel is very short. so i was thinking, since i still have 2 400" rolls vision 2 500t in my fridge to rent out an arri sr2 from my school and set up a few shots to "blow up" my reel a bit. has anyone done that before and maybe has some tipps for me ?

If you're asking if people shoot stuff just to go on their reels, then the answer is yes. It's better to show actual work produced for real programs but there is nothing wrong with just shooting for your reel. I would concentrate on shooting stuff you lit though and not just shoot random scenics. Show off the skills and shoot something interesting.

If you're asking if people shoot stuff just to go on their reels, then the answer is yes.  It's better to show actual work produced for real programs but there is nothing wrong with just shooting for your reel.  I would concentrate on shooting stuff you lit though and not just shoot random scenics.  Show off the skills and shoot something interesting.

yesi deff. need some blow up shots, unfortunately my equipment is a bit restricted (arri sr2 4:3 gate and tripod).

• Premium Member
yesi deff. need some blow up shots, unfortunately my equipment is a bit restricted (arri sr2 4:3 gate and tripod).

What do you mean by "blow up" shots?

If you're going to shoot spec stuff for your reel, you should probably think pretty critically about the kind of work you want to try to get and shoot accordingly. Obviously, commercials, features, music videos, etc all demand their own unique aesthetics.

The place where spec work usually falls apart, though, is not in the shooting but in all the other art dept. / hair / make-up / talent areas. For instance, if you're shooting a spec shampoo commercial and the talent is a friend who's doesn't really have great hair but is doing you a favor, you're going to come up with something amateurish that's not going to do you any good.

J