first roll of vision 2 200t

LiamA

hey guys. just shot my first roll of super 8 vision 2 negative film. the fee to get the film processed is relatively cheap, however the telecine process is quite pricey. seeing as in how i only have one roll right now, how would i "invert" the processed negative film? does it work to DIY telecine the negative and just invert it in a NLE like final cut? for the time being i've put the exposed film in the fridge until i know how i'm going to go about this.

quite new to this, would appreciate some input.

thanks!

bump.

nothing at all? seriously?

Hi, there are one or two old threads on this but it looks like the consensus is don't DIY telecine and invert in post. I would be inclined, with negative, to shoot about at least 10-15 minutes of footage and get it transferred professionally to SD as generally the more minutes you have to transfer the cheaper it works out. Shooting 1 roll of negative and transferring isn't very cost effective at all. At least with reversal you can either project or view on a viewer for free.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=17938&st=0&p=133297&hl=+negative%20+invert&fromsearch=1entry133297

I fully agree: to shoot one roll of Super-8 negative and paying to have it telecined in a pro place is the worst of economy as far as that workflow goes.

The first time I shot Vision, I ordered one of the special packages of 6 rolls of film of your choice with processing and Cintel scanning included. You pay more upfront, but the economy per roll is better and you can shoot with the calmer notion that everything has already been paid for.

For your one roll, I would say one way is to put money aside for such a package (4-6 rolls in your case), calling and explaining to them that you are new at this, and if they can help you out by inluding your existing roll at a reduced scanning price, you will take such a package.

It never hurts to ask, and you know you will use more film anyway, so they will see you as a new customer. There is always more than one facility that does this work, so it's just a matter of customer service.....

If you don't want to spend that kind of cash right now, then the homemade telecine is a cheap alternative, but it won't be pro looking (and could potentially damage the neg with scratches.)

Claus.

If you would like to test this one roll, I would like to recommend BPS Film Lab in Batavia, IL. They charge $11 for the cart to be developed, and $30 for up to 200 ft. of telecine to Mini DV. I have not tried their telecine services before, but their developing is clean and scratch-free. They don't have a website, but you can contact them by phone: 630-879-8200.

If you would like to test this one roll, I would like to recommend BPS Film Lab in Batavia, IL. They charge $11 for the cart to be developed, and $30 for up to 200 ft. of telecine to Mini DV. I have not tried their telecine services before, but their developing is clean and scratch-free. They don't have a website, but you can contact them by phone: 630-879-8200.

thanks guys. yes, ideally this was my "test" roll per-say. i shot random stuff under different lighting conditions. i inherited the [old] camera from my grandparents so this was also a way for me to see how well the camera shoots. i want to see if it's worth buying more film for. i don't want to shoot several rolls, pay for processing, only to find out that the camera was scratching the film, there were artifacts in the gate, the exposure was off, etc etc.

appreciate the comments. :)