going green

Unfortunately there is no way to do that. There is no bulb small enough to fit into a fixture like that, and if there was it certainly would not have near enough light output for that type of light. Ignoring that you would also be changing the entire characteristic of the light which is one reason to have those types of fixtures. If you want fluorescent you will have to buy fluorescent lights, or if being green is your intention: led fixtures.

Unfortunately there is no way to do that. There is no bulb small enough to fit into a fixture like that, and if there was it certainly would not have near enough light output for that type of light. Ignoring that you would also be changing the entire characteristic of the light which is one reason to have those types of fixtures. If you want fluorescent you will have to buy fluorescent lights, or if being green is your intention: led fixtures.

Thanks for your reply... How about cfl bulbs. Do you know any of them with a base that suits arri lights. If I understand correctly if I can find a g9.5 base bulb that should fit in to the Arri 300 plus holder isn't it?... What if I use an adopter ( if such thing exists)... My questions may look stupid but I'm just curious to know. We have two sets of lights and only 2 bulbs working. I've to buy the bulbs for other 4. I just want to know if I can go for some energy saving or cooler bulbs instead of halogen bulbs. We mainly shoot on Video cameras, so I light color matters little as we can white balance always. If there is noway I can go for others what is the best option you can suggest me...

Thanks for your reply again...

Even if you could find a CFL with the correct base, it would still need a ballast. Are you going to modify the fixture to incorporate one? Once you overcome that hurdle, the majority of the spiral or linear bulb would not be at or near the focal point of the reflector. You would no longer have a focusable beam of light and the photo-metrics would change entirely.

• Premium Member

You convinced me enough to buy the tungsten bulbs.

The other option would be to sell the fixtures, and buy some KinoFlo or other flourescent stuff....

In general, any time you think about modifying a piece of equipment, consider whether it would be more cost effective simply to sell it and buy something that does what you want instead.

-- J.S.