Infinite white not wide enough

I am having a problem with shooting on infinite white.

Close ups and mid shots works perfectly, however the wide shots leaves each of the frame sides without white background due to the inifite roll's width. Is there any easy way to solve this problem?

The actor only moves inside the area of the infinity roll.

• Premium Member

Close ups and mid shots works perfectly, however the wide shots leaves each of the frame sides without white background due to the inifite roll's width. Is there any easy way to solve this problem?

You could put a white card on each side of the lens, out-of-focus, to extend the white.

Garbage matte out the edges. Depending on what program your using you should be able to plug a garbage shape into the garbage matte input of your keyer. If using node based compositor that is. Unless your shooting a white infinite background which then you would still garbage matte out the edges but wouldn't have to go through a keyer necessarily.

You could put a white card on each side of the lens, out-of-focus, to extend the white.

I've done it with black - but white.... Interesting

Assuming the white is blown out ?

Flare issues ?

Either way it could prove fiddly lighting wise huh...

But I'm guessing you've done it previously - I'll stick it in my bank of possibles that 'I've read about on the net' :)

Its all a bit moot with enough time in post however - need more info from the OP

Edited by Chris Millar

• Premium Member

I've done it with black - but white.... Interesting

Assuming the white is blown out ?

Flare issues ?

Either way it could prove fiddly lighting wise huh...

But I'm guessing you've done it previously - I'll stick it in my bank of possibles that 'I've read about on the net' :)

Its all a bit moot with enough time in post however - need more info from the OP

No I haven't done it with white but I've seen that John Seale Kodak lighting demo where he hides a light mounted to a tan wall in the shot with a tan card in front of the lens. So it should be possible with a white background as long as it is evenly white (i.e. fairly blown-out) and there isn't too much depth of field or the shot isn't too wide-angle enough.

Should note the black version we did wasn't mounted on the camera as it was locked anyway...

Just a flag - noticed the effect was useful when looking through the finder - "hey! no, leave it there in shot, it works!"

A lot of interesting problem solvers to glean from product photography huh ;)

"fix it in pre"