I know indy films have smaller budgets and as such this creates less opportunities for DOP's but in general there is usually something awesome about them. I especially like the work of Eric Steelberg. I know he posts here but assume he wont see this so i will ask the rest of you. As im trying to achieve a 'indy film' look is there anything i should try and specifically do to help achieve this. Eg dont move the camera alot(not saying this is a trait just an example) I know there is plenty of things that could be done but off the top of your head's is there anything you notice in particular about the way indy films are shot or color corrected etc. And yes i know they are all different but i still do see some similarity in general between most of them.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't bet it is anything "unique" to an "indie," film. Rather it's just that you're probably seeing the betters of a broad bunch. There are plenty of god awful indie films, of all budget levels, just as there are studio productions. Perhaps, what you should look at instead of indie films as a whole are the directors behind them, and or the types of story they are telling. The people working the film, director Dop, etc will give them a lot of their inherent look, which is often informed by the story they are telling. This being the case there will be some genre dependent aspects of the production, in terms of how they make their images, as well as which types of images they go for. Hope that makes some sense.