Where to find DP and Sound guy in NYC

Where is the best place to look for people advertising their services or willingness to work? NYC area. One afternoon/evening of fun.

If I could find a film student or grad who has some knowledge and knowhow and who wants to spend an evening working as a Guerrilla filmmaker, that would be terrific. I've searched a number of forums, but I don't see any where I could actually throw down and say, hey, want to throw down with us? I must be looking in the wrong places.

I'm looking to do two shorts in the next six months, one ultra low to no-budgeter and then one that will cost me a fair amount of money. Ten years ago I did an award winning short and found my crew via my agent, who made some calls. no more agent. Not for years. Haven't done this in a long long time, so I am just out of it.

First up would be the tiny no budgeter that I have even been toying as an experimental project to be shot on a Zi8 with sound recorded via odd methods (iPhone or Android phone perhaps). We do have access to other cameras, such as the Canon T2i, but it would be cool to succeed in doing a short with something as crappy as the Zi8.

Bad sound can ruin a project, so I need to look into sound guys. No idea where to start.

I do have a professional editor who will handle my post work, for free, because he likes my script.

So that's my story. Any tips would be helpful.

Oh yes, the second short would be shot in a mix of HD and Super8. Unless I could somehow get use of a 5D (or equivalent quality camera) in which case footage could be mucked with in post to get the look I want.

Wow, we can't edit posts here? Weird. Okay, so UPDATE...

My good friend just bought a Canon 60D. Today. So no Zi8. He said "Let's shoot with the Canon" and I think that's a darn good idea.

We'll still use the Zi8 to record sound, as testing we performed today on it was positive. However, if I can find a better solution that doesn't cost much, I'm all aboard.

• Premium Member

Best bets for finding folk to work for you would be craigslist and/or mandy, and or the job's section of numerous forums (this one included). From there, all of 'em, you'll get a good deal of crazies and flakes, and even the best of us sometimes have lives from which we cannot escape. That all being said, once you find people who work well with you, you ought best keep them with you. The problem, of coure, will be finding qualified and professional individuals who will work for little/no money. There is a high element of you get what you pay for in this industry. And while many of us are probably guilty of the "sure i'll help out for a case of beer," sin, that is generally limited for friends. Sad truth is that everyone has an award winning film under their belt, or an amazing idea, and the people who tend to be grabbed by such things often do not have the world knowledge to contribute much aside from sweat.

Still, good luck to you.