Optar lenses

oscar jimenez

Hello

Im thinking of buying prime kit of optars, since they cost the same as Zeiss prime kit second hand, but brand new. I've used them once, but never got to see by myself the Telecine as it happened, so what I sought finally was post production image. Does anyone owns a kit of these babies? of do they relate to sharpness / resolution and color rendering VS Zeiss Primes? I will appreciate info regarding these lenses, so to decide wether secon hand Zeiss or Brand New Optars. and....

do they still continue to work beautifully after let's say.... 5 or more years? ( Im thinking about coating deterioration / stains )

Thank you very much indeed and all the best

Oscar

I own the full set of all 6 Optar Illuminas. Every single one of them needed to be collimated. I had them done by Bernie O'Doherty and he charged $50.00 per lens which was a really good price. The footage was excellent that I shot with them. The 8mm was spectacular. I think they are the best deal you can find in a Super-16 lens. Buy them from Kiev Camera. Some one will be putting a couple of these lenses on Ebay soon--they have been collimated by the above tech. The reason I know this is I heard it on the Eclair ACL forum--he's selling the 16 and 50 for $950.00 each.