911 from a Filmmaker's Perspective

Guest Scott Loughrey

Guest Scott Loughrey
Like said before, forum guidelines prohibit politically driven discussions.

I haven't expressed ANY political views here. So far all I've done is repeatedly ask people here to comment on cinematography. It is the people who don't wish to permit this conversation from taking place who are trying to turn this thread into some kind of political discussion that violates the forum guidelines.

Keep it relating to cinematography.  (Forum guidelines)

OK, will do. Now, here's a question I'd like to ask. Why do as many as four amateur video-makers perform zoom-outs just before Flight 175 strikes the South Tower:

Zoom-outs

I know this is possible. But likely?

Also, check out the miracle zoom:

Miracle Zoom

Scott,

What part of "stop talking about your 9/11 conspiracy theories in this forum" don't you understand?

As if the sheer level of denial, ignorance and naivety that you conspiracy theorists possess isn't insulting enough as it is...

Why not ask more meaningful cinematography-related questions:

2. Is it easy or even possible at all to create believabe CG effects with a cheap consumer camcorder? Can one manipulate images in post with today's current con/prosumer editing software? For example - could that video feed which aired on the 8 o'clock news have been manipulated in advance? How do I tell if something is CG or fake?

if you would have asked your questions in a similar way without actually mentioning 9/11 and starting the thread from that somewhat blurred POV of your's which is NOT shared by anyone else on this baord, you would have probably already gotten the answers you're looking for.

Or, God forbid, you could open an intelligent conversation about what the impact of disaster footage caught on tape then aired on the news for everyone to see can have on people... or whether or not you personally think we should be exposed to such devastating images in the first place...

Also, check out the miracle zoom:

Miracle Zoom

What miracle? I can do an identical zoom on my 1929 Bell and Howell Filmo. I can even do it on my brand-new Sharp camcorder. Rapid zooms are hardly evidence, many cameras offer a manual zooming option, whereby the only thing holding up the zoom is your hand. Takes me 4 frames to go from telephoto to wideangle on my Sharp, for example.

Guest Scott Loughrey
What part of "stop talking about your 9/11 conspiracy theories in this forum" don't you understand?

Are you the moderator here? If not, who is forcing you to read this discussion?

I can do an identical zoom on my 1929 Bell and Howell Filmo.

Sure, you can. Anyone can. However, this is a once-in-a-millenium shot. As the plane flies in at 450 mph to strike the South Tower is your impulse to radically alter the shot--at the risk of screwing everything up? It seems to me like no one would attempt a zoom like that with such highly unique content being recorded.

This isn't like shooting your 2-year-old grandchild as she stumbles across the living room. There's no second-chances. That's why the zoom in question seems preposterous to me. The technical difficulty also contributes to the sense the zoom wasn't recorded live.