vary long engagement

JONATHANEDWARDS

Cinematography.com news quote

Delbonnel beat out the competition, which included: Dion Beebe and Paul Cameron for "Collateral," Caleb Deshcanel for "The Passion of the Christ," Pawel Edelman for "Ray" and Robert Richardson for "The Aviator."?

am not surprised not much of a competition :lol:

its to bad that so many people will never go see this beautiful movie because its subtitled.

• Premium Member

I was at the awards last night and most everyone I spoke to seemed very surprised by this win.

Don't misunderstand me; clearly it's a beautiful film and deserved it's nomination, but with the beautiful work by Richardson, or the innovative work by Cameron and Beebe............well, it was rather unexpected when they announced his name.

It was very interesting also when they screened sample clips of the nominees to see the pieces of "Collateral" shot by each cinematographer - it struck me that Cameron was exploring more depth and capturing the grit of the city while Beebe seemed to be pushing how far one could go with darkness and "no light". Of course, that's a vague opinion formed from only a brief clip representing each of their contributions to the film, so take it for what it's worth.

Alec Baldwin was an excellent speaker and presenter.............funny cinematographer impressions.

• 3 weeks later...
I was at the awards last night and most everyone I spoke to seemed very surprised by this win.

Don't misunderstand me; clearly it's a beautiful film and deserved it's nomination, but with the beautiful work by Richardson, or the innovative work by Cameron and Beebe............well, it was rather unexpected when they announced his name.

It was very interesting also when they screened sample clips of the nominees to see the pieces of "Collateral" shot by each cinematographer - it struck me that Cameron was exploring more depth and capturing the grit of the city while Beebe seemed to be pushing how far one could go with darkness and "no light".  Of course, that's a vague opinion formed from only a brief clip representing each of their contributions to the film, so take it for what it's worth.

Alec Baldwin was an excellent speaker and presenter.............funny cinematographer impressions.

I disagree. I think the Aviator and Collateral paled in comparison to A Very Long Engagement visually. I mean, Richardson's whole blown out blue backlight thing is played out IMO. It's a shame that films from the US are usually given 200% more chance than films that are equal if not better from foreign lands. A very Long Engagement was one of the best looking films I have seen....ever...and the Aviator was interesting, but not the deserved winner at the Oscars.

• Premium Member

I thought it looked good - how could one not? - but I also found myself getting a bit annoyed by the general perfection of it. A bit like meeting beautiful woman that knows she's beautiful. Too much Stella Artois-commercial, too self-indulgent and controlled. Definitely too much Technocrane and too many close-ups with wide lenses (in my opinion). All that worked so sweetly on Amelie backfired tremendously on this one.

Can't fault it on cinematography, for sure, it's just like sometimes you don't want a salmon terrine but a hamburger, you know?

I agree with you Adam. I thought it was way too glossy. Even "Paths of Glory" seemed grittier and more true to the subject.

Felt the same way about "Return to Cold Mountain" which felt like a slick Maxwell House coffee commercial.

I disagree.  I think the Aviator and Collateral paled in comparison to A Very Long Engagement visually.  I mean, Richardson's whole blown out blue backlight thing is played out IMO.  It's a shame that films from the US are usually given 200% more chance than films that are equal if not better from foreign lands.  A very Long Engagement was one of the best looking films I have seen....ever...and the Aviator was interesting, but not the deserved winner at the Oscars.

i think so too, i really wasnt that impressed by collateral, it surely was of high technical standard, but the look wasnt very apealing to me, i thought the movement still looked very video :/