Could someone help with problems in this footage...

Mohammed Tahir

This was shot on Super 16mm a couple of years ago and kind of got forgotten before I resurrected it a week ago only to find that the picture was actually jumping every now and again. If someone could please cast their expert eye over it, I would appreciate it: http://vimeo.com/18582288

Thanks

Mohammed

Edited by Mohammed Tahir

Are you sure you got what you paid for there? That's one of the worst "HD" transfers I have seen. I don't think either is a camera issue. I'm sure one of the lab owners here will be able to tell more.

Thanks for the reply Vincent. It was really badly underexposed footage - this was one shot that I kind of turned around a little with some colour correction, although it was still badly unexposed. The other footage was out by a mile. As for the transfer, it was done on a Cintel diTTo Scanner. I don't know anything about this scanner, perhaps others can comment.

• Premium Member

Vincent is right, it doesn't look like the camera would have caused that, looks like individual frames... a camera issue would generally look more like a vertical scratch and would occur on several or all frames from a take.

If that shot is really important for some reason, you can always paint/clone it out with After Effects... unless much more of your footage is just like that then I'd talk to the guys that scanned it and get their take. Maybe some sort of dust/hair/artifact in the scanning process?

• Premium Member

Thanks Will. What about the actual movement of the frame when it movs up/down? That again seems like a problem that occured with telecine.

I'd say a scanning issue. If the image moved like that in the camera there would blurring plus I don't know how it could move like that in most cameras. It's like a few frames were out of alignment. You may actually be able to easily correct with a modern version of photoshop that handles video. If this happens throughout a larger scan I would ask them to re-scan it. If there's a problem with the film they should be able to tell you. I'm actually surprised they handed it back to you like that without explaining exactly what happened.

No telecine sponsor of this forum would do that. :)

I got in touch with the transfer place and they let me know that they did have a problems with the 16mm gate at the time when they scanned the neg. They said it's all fixed now and they were prepared to re-scan the neg free of charge. I asked if they would take the latest footage that I shoot, process it and scan it to DPX instead of re-scanning the original neg (which was badly underexposed and not worth re-scanning) - they said yes! The latest exposed footage has been sent - just waiting to see what I get back. I think they were very good in the end considering the problem was with footage from 2009. Thanks to all that helped.

Edited by Mohammed Tahir