Olympus PEN 8 EE

Colin Curtis

Hello 8mm enthusiasts!

I have in my camera collection an 'Olympus PEN 8 EE'. It is a regular 8 camera - from 1963, I think. I might just use this to make some old style home movies of my new-born son. Does anyone on here know where I might find a manual for it, or at the very least some detailed specs? I've read that this camera shoots really sharply. Has anyone had experience with it? Anything I can find on this camera would be great. Here is a picture...It came in the original box. Cool huh?!

Thanks for reading!

COLIN

post-49190-0-32544900-1295426879.jpg

• Premium Member

Old Timer Cameras has manuals for sale:

http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=8371&ModelPage=true

I believe the camera has auto exposure (so you'll need the correct battery replacements for the meter) but hopefully you can manually override it, otherwise I'd shoot a test roll to check if the exposure is right.

Hey Dom...Thanks for the link...and I did manage to find a battery replacement that works for the light meter, but will test some film to be sure it exposes properly. Unfortunately, there is no manual control though. Pretty basic camera. Thanks for reading and commenting! C

• Premium Member

No worries.

I've been recording my baby daughter's first year of life on standard eight as well, on a variety of old cameras - from a 1939 Bell and Howell turret Filmo to a 1960's Carena Zoomex S. Wonderful machines. My preference is for the wind-up ones. Their mechanical craftsmanship leaves most Super 8 cameras for dead, they're easy to service, purr like kittens and many of them use interchangeable lenses.

Anyway, enjoy your Olympus!

Hi Colin,

The OLYMPUS PEN 8 EE was made in two versions, a cream colored smooth paint scheme and the spackle black paint scheme. They were available in three lens variations:

(1). Basic camera with lens shade facia using just the basic internal 13mm F/1.8 fixed focus optic [normal focal length for 8mm format]

(2). Camera with F/1.8 focusing 9mm to 20mm manual zoom lens.

(3). Camera with F/1.8 focusing 9mm to 27mm manual zoom lens.

Both camera versions have interchangeable lens options, so using the Olympus screw mount {about 19mm or 3/4 inch} you can use just the prime built in 13mm lens, either of the zoom addon lens units, or a Telephoto or Wideangle addon lens. The mount is NOT compatible with the common Regular 8mm D-Mount, and is smaller than the common C-Mount.

Removing the front zoom or lens shade addons via unscrewing them, makes for a very compact camera.

Exposure is automatic only, however you can dial in the ASA/ISO filmspeed on the dial just below the lens, and thus be able to fine-tune your autoexposure via adjusting this dial [e.g. light or darker images as well as compensating for perhaps a weaker responding exposure system as well as the difference in battery voltage of modern replacement batteries]. There is also an aperture scale on the right side of the camera, visible through a body window port. While a bit crude, if you tape some gripable tape or rubber to the ASA dial, it's also possible to force the camera to do a Fade-out or Fade-in by rotating it in the direction that will close the lens down or open it up. Also possible is addition of filters to the lens and then just adjusting the ASA dial to compensate for the Filter's Exposure Factor.

OTHER FEATURES: Camera runs at 16fps, Reflex viewfinder (although no reflex focusing, must focus via lens scale if using either Zoom Lens module. Focusing is fixed focus 8ft to Infinity with base prime 13mm lens at F/1.8 and minimum focus changes with Depth-of-Field in brighter light. If using either Telephoto or Wideangle addon lenses, focus varies from shorter DOF and greater minimum shooting distance with Telephoto, to very generous DOF and minimum focus distance when using Wideangle. Electric remote release via rear port, Cable release socket on top camera run trigger button, Run Lock Switch on right side of body to allow a release lock, or a continous run via first depressing the top button and then flipping the run lock lever forward to "L". The "R" is for Run position, and if put in the "L" position it will prevent accidental exposure. To remove the lens, you first must unscrew the Zoom Lever from the lens since it will hit the ASA dial otherwise.

Do make sure the light meter works, easy to do via watching the lens aperture scale move when you have the meter battery installed......otherwise, if she's non-functional, you're limited to full aperture only and can still use the camera, but then only by adding Neutral Density filters in various light situations to control exposure.

Hope this helps, and that you have fun with your camera!