• Premium Member

We love standards, we have lots of them. HDTV here is mostly 1080 line interlaced at 60 fields per second, which is the same as 30 frames per second. Some networks and stations also use the 720 line progressive system, at 60 frames per second. But most of our scripted shows shoot 1080 line progressive at 24 frames per second, which is converted by 3-2 pulldown to 1080i/30 or 720p/60. The reason is that 24p can also be sold in foreign countries that use 25 fps, while 30i and 60p don't convert adequately.

-- J.S.

But most of our scripted shows shoot 1080 line progressive at 24 frames per second, which is converted by 3-2 pulldown to 1080i/30 or 720p/60.

Why don't they broadcast 24p shows natively at that framerate?

Edited by Ravi Kiran

• Premium Member

Why don't they broadcast 24p shows natively at that framerate?

The networks were heavily involved in the ATSC process, and 1080i/60 is what they wanted at that time. They equipped themselves to do news and sports and soap operas in 60i, so they require 60i conversions of the scripted shows, just to keep everything on the same page. Either way works, it's just that switching back and forth would be a pain.

-- J.S.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Roberto Hapsad

The correct answer is 29.97.

Just input 29.97 and you will register succesfully.

The registration question is realy very strange and not easy to find.

Thaaaa-aanks!!

This is my first post.

This forum registration now wins my "sheesh!!" prize of the week. In had entered some of these combinations:

Challenge question: 30

captcha : Soap wheedle

(nope...)

Challenge question: 30 ("well, *yes* guys" I thought)..

captcha : froghouse klimt

(nope...)

Challenge question: 60 (maybe that's what they're thinking)..

captcha : ᐂ sp1rit (ᐂ is Canadian Aboriginal)

and so on, 60i, 24(you're kidding)p. + periodic table symbol for Boron, etc.

finally I resort to the Oracle (google)

Well it's good to be amongst you, folks. I'm an Aussie from PAL-land, newly converted to HD DSLR and simultaneously re-ignited my lo-ove affair with film.

Do you have any more secret initiation rituals to subject me to? :-)

I just registered, first post.

And the question stopped me for a moment, too. But FPS means only one thing to me.

I was gonna type "30" before a silent inner voice yelled, "Twenty nine point nine seven!"

That voice is gonna serve me well... I hope.

:)

- Dave Olden

• 2 weeks later...

I had problem with that too when i was trying to register

First i entered 29,97 then it told me it was wrong, then i thought without drop frames? 30. Then i got it wrong again

I tried 29,970 later on, still wrong. After a while i figured I typed coma instead of dot..

• 2 months later...

I had problem with that too when i was trying to register

First i entered 29,97 then it told me it was wrong, then i thought without drop frames? 30. Then i got it wrong again

I tried 29,970 later on, still wrong. After a while i figured I typed coma instead of dot..

It took me a while, but it's asking: standard US television frames per second. 29.97.

• 7 months later...