lighting for a jewelry web commercial

hello everybody,

i've just been signed to shoot a commercial for the web regarding jewelry (and a very exclusive jewelry shop in rome). since it is supposed to be for the web, i agreed to shoot on canon 5d mkii. gripping-wise, since it is a very small shop, i'd go for the kessler crane cineslider, even though i fear here in italy it is not available for rental yet.

lighting-wise, i believe i'll go for soft key light, mixing up cold and warm temp (key balanced to tungsten, + half ctb on the side light).

this is the main plan, at the moment. i'd be very happy to read any advice from more experienced commercial dops regarding specifically targeted lighting (or filters) applied to jewelry ads.

thanks in advance for your kind contributions,

regards

Edited by Vincenzo Condorelli

• Premium Member

it depends what you're shooting- the jewelry or the people. If it's jewelry I wouldn't mix color temps; in fact I wouldn't mix color temps at all given it's an add for things which are naturally beautiful.... A turn table is also helpful to get the stones etc to spin and catch light.

it depends what you're shooting- the jewelry or the people. If it's jewelry I wouldn't mix color temps; in fact I wouldn't mix color temps at all given it's an add for things which are naturally beautiful.... A turn table is also helpful to get the stones etc to spin and catch light.

i'm supposed to shoot only the jewels...actually a turn table is a great idea, as for the color temp, i guess i could shoot tungsten balanced, keying with + 1/2 ctb...besides the shop is very small, it is the eldest jewelry in rome, therefore it should be a sort of "main character" in itself...

i'm supposed to shoot only the jewels...actually a turn table is a great idea, as for the color temp, i guess i could shoot tungsten balanced, keying with + 1/2 ctb...besides the shop is very small, it is the eldest jewelry in rome, therefore it should be a sort of "main character" in itself...

Reflective surfaces like to have something to reflect. Be sure to bring several 4x bead boards or white foam core. If your going to use a soft box as a key light that's great because the surface of the diffusion will reflect at certain angles. You can get more reflection by rigging your bead boards or foam core at the right angle then hitting it with an inkie or something.