How to make it in Hollywood?

Justin Ciminero

I just graduated with a BA in Film & Digital media and I don't want to end up shooting weddings for chump change. I have no direct connections with Hollywood's A-list. What does it take for a person in my position to get an "above the line" job? I've asked this question hundreds of times and the answers boil down to 3 things: Talent, connections and luck. Lets say I have the talent but no luck, money or connections. Does anyone have a more specific plan to become a major Hollywood player within 10 years?

I just graduated with a BA in Film & Digital media and I don't want to end up shooting weddings for chump change. I have no direct connections with Hollywood's A-list. What does it take for a person in my position to get an "above the line" job? I've asked this question hundreds of times and the answers boil down to 3 things: Talent, connections and luck. Lets say I have the talent but no luck, money or connections. Does anyone have a more specific plan to become a major Hollywood player within 10 years?

Define "major Hollywood player." You want to be a big time Producer or Director? Write a script that can't be ignored. Get to know existing Producers and suck up to them and be willing to literally bend-over and take it to prove your ambition. Be a shark and never take no for an answer. Get to know MAJOR financiers and do whatever it takes to get upwards of $50 million + in investment capital for you to develop scripts.

That might sound facetious but it's not. Yes, you need to know what you're doing to a certain extent, but that's only part of it. You have to meet the right people and be in the right place with the right combination of assets (money, scripts, people) to make "something" happen. Some of that is going to be luck. You can "make your own luck" by putting yourself in the "right place at the right time" by learning who is who and what they want AND having the assets (money, scripts, people) at the ready.

There is no absolute formula for this. If there was, 90% of people here would likely not be here talking about cameras and other BS. We'd all be in the Caribbean in our third vacation home reading scripts for the next project.

It's not impossible. Improbable for most people, but because there ARE people who work "above the line" as "major players," that proves that it's not impossible.

The bad news is that you have to find your own path. The good news is that it's not impossible.

I suggest the following resources that MIGHT help you learn about the business as it actually works so that you can try to put yourself in the right places at the right times with the right combination of assets:

www.wordplayer.com

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Producer-Industry-Veteran-Hollywood/dp/0312069693/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296795414&sr=8-1

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780823099535

http://realfilmcareer.com/

It sounds like you had one of these film school experiences where the faculty didn't prepare you for the reality of the industry. Fair enough, since that reality is different for everyone.

I used to hear friends talk about wanting to be filmmakers because they love it, and that they are not in it for the money. I think that's the right attitude. But who isn't seduced by the lifestyle?

I go back to something my mother told me: good salesman will always have work because they make people money. Artists spend money. So if you really want to rise to the top you have to be able to make a lot of people a lot of money, very quickly, and all the time. You will either do that by being a g-d gifted superb director like Kubrick or Eastwood. Or an business wise producer and investor that turns nearly everything to gold like Jerry Bruckheimer.

And finally, you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. You'll probably be 30 in ten years. See the world. Learn a language. Live your life and enjoy it. Read. Sometimes good things happen because you stepped back a little.

In doing the "behind the scenes" work I've been doing for the past few years, I can't tell you how many successful Producers, Directors, and Writers I hear tell their stories that begin with, "I never meant to get into this business, but..." Then the story continues with some bit of unexpected (and un-looked for) luck or opportunity that the person's previous experience allowed them to exploit into a career. It seems that the common denominator is that those who TRY to "make it big" rarely if ever do, while those who just want to make movies are the one's who propel themselves to the top through hard work and creativity.

I guess the advice is to not try to be a "major player" and instead just concentrate on doing that one job that you really want to do. If you're really good at it then your likelihood of being a "major player" increases. No guarantees, of course, but if the GOAL is to be a "major player," then it probably won't happen because the goal should be to just do the best job you can. If you do that, then the "major player" part may follow.

• 6 months later...

I have been asking that same question for the past 13 years :/

Well for my situation its more like "How to get to US and make it in Hollywood?"

I think the key to the success is "catch attention".. How? doing something outstanding, groundbreaking or different but that sells.

Remember the news not long ago? An indie director from Uruguay shot a sci-fi short and uploaded to youtube, later got contract from Hollywood. Although i have never heard of him again, but still he was on the news from everywhere in the world. I guess what you are and what you do defines it. How to make it in Hollywood? Be very good at what you are doing..

Get to know MAJOR financiers and do whatever it takes to get upwards of $50 million + in investment capital for you to develop scripts.

Sorry Brian, I will have to offer an opposing view point here. There is simply no way in hell any young guy is going to get "50 million + in investment capital" that's crazy talk, sorry.

Someone starting out in this business will find it next to impossible to land $100, 000.00 let alone 50 million! I mean come on, 50 million? :blink:

50 million + goes to senior level producers with an established and successful track record.

Which leads back to the original posters question, "Does anyone have a more specific plan to become a major Hollywood player within 10 years?" I have no idea why young film students think this way, it's delusional thinking at best. Good grief I can't count the number of people I know with 25+ years of professional experience in this business and they are not "Hollywood players." Then we have yet ANOTHER kid on this forum with his deluded dreams of being a Hollywood hot shot in 10 years.

Time to get a grip on reality.

R,

Sorry Brian, I will have to offer an opposing view point here. There is simply no way in hell any young guy is going to get "50 million + in investment capital" that's crazy talk, sorry.

Someone starting out in this business will find it next to impossible to land $100, 000.00 let alone 50 million! I mean come on, 50 million? :blink:

50 million + goes to senior level producers with an established and successful track record.

Which leads back to the original posters question, "Does anyone have a more specific plan to become a major Hollywood player within 10 years?" I have no idea why young film students think this way, it's delusional thinking at best. Good grief I can't count the number of people I know with 25+ years of professional experience in this business and they are not "Hollywood players." Then we have yet ANOTHER kid on this forum with his deluded dreams of being a Hollywood hot shot in 10 years.

Time to get a grip on reality.

R,

That wasn't an opposing view at all. You've just reiterated my point. :)

That wasn't an opposing view at all. You've just reiterated my point. :)

So long as you're happy. :)

Now about those tax credits.....

R,

• 2 months later...