Dropouts with FX1

Guest Kai.w

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anybody else has serious dropout problems with the FX1...

We've got two of them and both, when using MiniDV Tapes produce artifacts looking like dropouts (small corrupt blocks) at such a high rate that it makes the footage actually unusable.

We could'nt try with HDV Tapes (anybody seen them yet?) but I think it should not be that bad with the others...

-k

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anybody else has serious dropout problems with the FX1...

We've got two of them and both, when using MiniDV Tapes produce artifacts looking like dropouts (small corrupt blocks) at such a high rate that it makes the footage actually unusable.

We could'nt  try with HDV Tapes (anybody seen them yet?) but I  think it should not be that bad with the others...

-k

Hmm.. I have Not had that problem, Bet it's the tapes though for sure. especially since both cams are doing it. You try another brand of tape yet?

Your problem is your tapes. Go for more expensive tapes. Sony has had problems with these tapes for this camera. Especially when shooting on the HD function.

The reason for it is that on MiniDV tapes, the companies who make them only does control checking of the tapes once in a while. But the more expensive tapes are checked often for faults and dropouts. This is the reason for them being more expensive.

Try the Sony Mini DV Digital HD video tape. Check out Filmtools. They stock them.

Moreover, dropouts will be more visible on the HDV format; the MPEG2-based recording has a GOP of 15 frames when shooting 1080i, meaning any dropouts will last for at least 15 frames (1/2 second). DV is I-frame only, meaning a dropout can exist in just one frame, in which most cases error correction will catch it and you'll never know about it.

I've heard the GOP length changes when shooting 720p (something like a 6-frame GOP) but am not completely sure.