The Orphanage look

Example:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/kid_Orphanage-431x300.jpg

We are creating a short film for one of my classes and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to achieve this look, lighting wise / camera settings. We are using a Panasonic AG HVX200.

The lenses we have are a 25mm, 35mm, and and one other that I cant think of right now. I am still a newbie to this forum so I hope this is the right place to post this question.

are you going after the color pallette or the contrasty look? I'd say production design is a huge part of that, maybe in post you could desaturate the image, crush the blacks a little...other than that you should be more specific about what you like in that shot.

Just looked at the picture again. It looks like it was top-lit with a strong back light on the subject.

Edited by David Desio

Thanks for your response David. I guess I just really like the gritty feel of the movie. Also I was looking more for any camera or lighting tricks during production to give it this feeling, specifically advice of gels to use for lights/white balancing, etc

• Premium Member

Production design.....

I mean, yeah the image is a little on the cool side and there's some green in the shadows, but overall, that look/feel is done with production design, in the location as well as in the costuming.

Another issue you are going to run into is that the lens adapter is going to act like a diffusion filter on your camera and soften the image a bit, which'll negate a lot of those small textures you're seeing in the image....

• 4 weeks later...