Pretty Classy

Peter Moretti

• Premium Member

"... Arri has asked me to clearly state that their factory considers the camera to have a maximum dynamic range of 14 stops. Based on what I see in this chart that measurement is slightly conservative as the 15th stop is clearly visible on the chart... "

(From http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/aadams/story/alexa_dynamic_range_its_all_in_how_you_use_it/P1/)

And Arri's own website claims 13.5 stops: http://www.arri.com/camera/

I find it refreshing and classy for Arri to insist on accuracy and maybe even under reporting of the Alexa's dynamic range values.

• Premium Member
I find it refreshing and classy for Arri to inisit on accuracy and maybe even under reporting of the Alexa's dynamic range values.

So do I.

I suspect the discrepancy is down to nothing more than what we all individually consider to be "acceptable noise".

P

• Premium Member

I suspect the discrepancy is down to nothing more than what we all individually consider to be "acceptable noise".

That's why we need to get all the contenders in a room lit by a single bare lightbulb in the shot - what Bob Primes did in the ASC/PGA tests a couple years ago. The only thing to add is to do some pans and tilts.

-- J.S.

That's why we need to get all the contenders in a room lit by a single bare lightbulb in the shot - what Bob Primes did in the ASC/PGA tests a couple years ago. The only thing to add is to do some pans and tilts.

Premiering at NAB, "The Great Camera Shoot-out 2011", a documentary film of the Single Chip Camera Evaluation (SCCE), conducted by Robert Primes, ASC. If I remember correctly, I've read somewhere (could've been reduser) they finished the first phase of tests a month ago.

Cameras/Formats: 35mm film, Arri Alexa, Weiscam, Sony F35, Phantom, RED One MX, Sony F3, Panasonic AF100, Canon 5D, 1D and Nikon D7000 (Red refused to provide an Epic, because they said it's still in pre-production and they're busy tweaking things).

Edited by Francesco Bonomo

• Premium Member
... (Red refused to provide an Epic, because they said it's still in pre-production and they're busy tweaking things).

And we really can't fault them for that. Epic has not been released to general public yet. So even if it did ace the test, people would complain about its lack of availability.

BTW, IF Zacuto does have a bias in these tests (not saying they do) Arri should be the most afraid . Most Alex owners aren't going to buy Zacuto stuff anyway b/c the camera comes with an EVF, shoulder rest, and most of the other accessories that Zacuto makes, Arri makes as well (and probably better).

The F3, on the other hand, is ripe for the pimping out.

And we really can't fault them for that. Epic has not been released to general public yet. So even if it did ace the test, people would complain about its lack of availability.

True, but people would find something to complain about anyway...

BTW, IF Zacuto does have a bias in these tests (not saying they do) Arri should be the most afraid . Most Alex owners aren't going to buy Zacuto stuff anyway b/c the camera comes with an EVF, shoulder rest, and most of the other accessories that Zacuto makes, Arri makes as well (and probably better).

It's ironic, because when this was posted on reduser, most people said that Alexa would be the clear winner because of some positive comments about it by Robert Primes, ASC.

Anyway, after some digging, I found the post by Zacuto's Steve Weiss where he gives more detailed information about the test and the documentary, here's the link: http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=720659&postcount=39