Pre-Pro vs. On-set decisions

Jeff Kolada

I was interested to see how other people work in regards to shot selections. I know I usually try to shotlist with the director and keep true to my shotlists on set, then I adjust my shots to fit the location. I usually have locations scouted and at the least have photos of the locations. Last weekend I showed up on set and after looking at the blocking with the scene I almost completely changed the shots that were in my mind/on the shot list. Everything was with the director's consent, and it didn't screw up wrap times.

My question is, how often do you go to a location to shoot and change up shots because something works better? And how big of adjustments have you made? (As much as I'm sure the AD dislikes...)

Often you're dropping shots because you don't have enough time, so you simplify things.

The shot list is only a game plan or a starting point, if something better comes along on the day you go with that, also remembering that you haven't got any more time to do it. It's only a problem when you lose sight of what the scene is actually about.

i encourage the director to work on shooting only after we set the locations and visit them and spend time to feel what they can bring to the movie.

then we sit to write the shooting list

when you go for shooting it's better to live place for changes

i called this process "create a reality (the film reality) and document it"