UK Cinematography Experience.

Emma Stokes

I know what you're all thinking. "Another mindless student asking for help how to get into the business". In one aspect, I am asking this. In another way, it's not mindless.

I'm a Journalism student in the UK and I'm currently writing about news, politics and features. But I want more. I am eager to break into the TV world, but this girl needs help.

I'm looking for some work experience over the summer. To work behind the camera and to see whats going on. Whether this be filming, reality shows, dramas, adverts. ANYTHING. It's useless emailing a thousand different broadcast companies if all you get in return is 'PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU'. Then of course they don't.

I'm looking for someone who will take on an enthusiastic girl, and show her what its like to work in TV. I need someone to push me in the right direction of finding experience, and you never know, you may actually make my life.

If anyone, knows ANYONE or anything, which can help me get some experience from June onwards, please contact me. I will buy that person a beer.

Thank you.

Emma.[/font]

Edited by Emma Stokes

• 1 month later...

If you are a Journalism student what is it you want to do now? Be a camera person? Whatever it is- director/cameraperson or presenter, you most likely will have to try and get to know some people in TV and/or write to production companies to take you on as a runner/PA's. It's a crappy job but you may learn loads.

I'm a freelance Cinematographer and don't really work in TV (although having worked for TV prod co.'s) but I'm pretty sure you will get somewhere if you write to all the prod. companies. And there are a lot of them and they all need runners/PA's. You can try one i have done some work for called Eyeworks based in London.

Either way, you will probably have to put some time in as a runner/PA and if you're lucky, someone will let you shoot something- as you will have needed to have a decent amount of real experience and a showreel/credit list before you are allowed to be behind a camera (unless directing your own show).

PA's are a dime a dozen so you have to really put yourself out there and write to people.

Hope that helps.

JC

• Premium Member

If you fancy travelling mail this guy. lex@fourcorners.nl They're a small company in Holland not really in TV but do a lot of commercials and high end corporate films.

I've shot a lot for them over the last 3 yrs and they're really good in every way, something you don't come by much in this business!

Big on interns and education! Just took on an fx student from China! Paid for his visa!