Vision 2 500T Problem

Guest Brian Danin

Guest Brian Danin

The film came back from telecine, and 80% of it looks great, exactly how I had expected it to. The scenes I had even suspected to be too dark came out looking very nice and having great colors.

However, some of the shots on brighter days came out very dark, and very red.

I was shooting vision II 500 T stock, outdoors. No artificial light, and only an 85 filter built into the camera. (a Canon 814 and Nizo 540 both previously tested and in great working condition)

This is what doesn't make any sense. My exposure, according to a digital light meter, (if anything) was a half stop over exposed.

I know my film could not have been underexposed with those light conditions. I am basing this assumption on the conditions of the first day, when I thought it was too dark.

The fact that it's red also bothers me. It's Tungsten film and we're shooting outside in daylight, without filters, without artificial lights. So, if we missed the 85 filter, it should look about a stop overexposed and blue.

After talking with my telecine opperator, the only logical suggestion he could offer me as a conclusion to this problem was that he's seen problems like this on 16mm when the film is loaded reversed. As this cannot happen with super 8mm cartridges, I'm forced to wonder was it manufacture defect; did kodak load it improperly.

The bad footage seems to be secluded to a select couple of rolls only, and shots on that same day with the same appatures came out looking great.

Too bad. Waste of time, effort and a lot of money.

Try to scan (flatbed or film scanner will normally do) a piece of the film from the bad part, colour correct and invert it and examine it.

This way you may evaluate if it is film or the telecine.

If you are in doubt you can compare it with a scan of your 35mm photo negatives.

R

Guest Brian Danin
Try to scan (flatbed or film scanner will normally do) a piece of the film from the bad part, colour correct and invert it and examine it.

This way you may evaluate if it is film or the telecine.

If you  are in doubt you can compare it with a scan of your 35mm photo negatives.

R

I do have 35mm photo still that came out wonderfully.

I also have certain rolls from this day that worked out.

I also already have stills.

I think i put them on this post.

Guest Brian Danin

I talked to kodak, and they are going to take a sample of the film and try and figure out what went wrong.

As well, how do I load images?