Fast Five / IMAX questions

From my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, many IMAX movies are not true IMAX movies, the negative is just blown up from the 35mm negative. I just saw Fast Five in the IMAX theater last night, and it was entertaining, but am I right in thinking I'm still looking at the information captured by a 35mm negative? And not information captured by exposing a 65mm negative to the same information? I do understand that you can't shoot a movie like that, or even most movies in 65mm (cost/camera/stunts). Most scenes were nice and some even incredible, but there were a few were you really saw the soft focus(or enlargement giving the appearance of soft focus) I guess since blowing up from a 35mm negative. I did go to one of the other theaters, one of the standard size screens and the IMAX was ALOT better, in resolution, color. I imagine the movie is shot in 35mm, then edited, DI'ed with vibrant colors, and output to 65mm and 35mm, it's just the 65mm holds more vibrant color and information. Am I right? I'm kind of just going by reasonable deductions here.

Another question I have is...does IMAX theaters (such as AMC Theaters) project mostly film still or are they projecting from a digital file now? Is a digital file what they call D-cinema now?

The movie was fun, and it was a full theater, people were cheering and all that, had some great action scenes. It's great to see people still getting into movies. There were a couple parts that were a little over the top but you just go with it and enjoy it. Overall and all things considering, it was a fun movie.

Thanks for your input everyone,

Enrique

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I see you worked on The Fighter, how did you like working with 2-perf? Do you think 2-perf will start to get more popular? Thanks!

Have a great day,

Enrique

Two perf is very risky. Gate hairs are a common problem. One cannot avoid them. We were two perf solely to avoid shooting HD. The Fighter was also a gritty film and the two perf matched the style beautifully. HD will overtake the two perf market. There is not much evidence that supports the two perf format.

• Premium Member

I once watched Indy 4 at an Imax cinema and I wasn't impressed. The image looked overly blown up and soft. Did Fast Five look similar?

I have no idea. I saw it with digital projection here in Baltimore, MD at some downtown cinema (we are here on location filming another picture). It was scary sharp!

G

I have no idea. I saw it with digital projection here in Baltimore, MD at some downtown cinema (we are here on location filming another picture). It was scary sharp!

G

It was only scary sharp because you're so good at what you do! :)

• 2 weeks later...