70's lighting

We are about to begin production on a short film set to the 70's and we are going to shoot indoors in a house very much like a something from the 70's. I'm going to shoot with the canon 5d handheld primarly with the 24mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.2 with the ND-filters. Not decided which aperture to shoot but lets say something like 5.6. How can I light this to look like authentic 70's? A reference film for this project in terms of look would be A Serious Man and the interiors from Larry Gopniks house (daylight).

Lighting kit:

Arrilite 3x 800w

Kino Flo 2ft and 4ft

Standard 3x 180w

Diffuse filters flags etc.

Your production designer/set decorator has a much bigger challenge than you :)

A period piece really relies on the Decor and Music to set the "period" unless you are going for a washed out 70's Film look, which will be a bit tough shooting Digital, unless you want to spend hours in Post.

Your production designer/set decorator has a much bigger challenge than you :)

A period piece really relies on the Decor and Music to set the "period" unless you are going for a washed out 70's Film look, which will be a bit tough shooting Digital, unless you want to spend hours in Post.

Yes it is quite difficult to achieve that 70's film stock look in post. And it will never look like real film. But I'm asking about lighting in particular. What can lights participate with in order to boost or tribute to achieve that 70's look. We are shooting in a 70's house with interior from that decade etc. What did Roger Deakins use for lighting in A Serious Man, like what style?

A Serious Mind was only made about 4 years ago and Roger did what he does best lots of soft light , 70s in the most used a harder light and lots of fog filters . If you want your film to look like what Roger Deakins did than i dont think you are after a[ 70s] look.

A Serious Mind was only made about 4 years ago and Roger did what he does best lots of soft light , 70s in the most used a harder light and lots of fog filters . If you want your film to look like what Roger Deakins did than i dont think you are after a[ 70s] look.

So he basically used a lot of soft light in A Serious Man, you mean? That's interesting.

So he basically used a lot of soft light in A Serious Man, you mean? That's interesting.

Yes, it seemed like he used a lot of large soft sources. The "behind the scenes" portion of the DVD showed him using a very large soft fixture for the church scenes. It was held up by cranes and was big enough to cover the entirety of the church! (He of course augmented this with smaller lights inside the church)

This is your Kit:

Arrilite 3x 800w

Kino Flo 2ft and 4ft

Standard 3x 180w

Diffuse filters flags etc.

You don't have access to a 60x60 silk and a crane or 6,12 or 18k's

You do have a Digi camera- SHOOT/TEST- it don't cost anything but time.

Yes, it seemed like he used a lot of large soft sources. The "behind the scenes" portion of the DVD showed him using a very large soft fixture for the church scenes. It was held up by cranes and was big enough to cover the entirety of the church! (He of course augmented this with smaller lights inside the church)

Wow! I will check that out.