Advice request: Will it be worth it to shoot this low-budget feature?

Guest Benjamin Dell

Guest Benjamin Dell

I have recently been offered to shoot a low budget feature (12k, 12 day shoot). It doesn't pay much, and I am really torn on shooting it. I will have to provide all my own camera gear (my DSLR Kit), and the lighting kit is very small and limiting (an arri light kit with about 4 lights, barely any grip/support gear).

I have recently been getting bigger and bigger jobs, some with grip trucks. I am worried that on this shoot, I will be limited both by the expertise of my crew, which will likely be barely paid, as well as the lighting package. Can anyone chime in on this?

Is it worth having a super low-budge feature under your belt? Or no?

• Premium Member

Well it'll certainly help you learn how to do more with less. It'll probably be a pain in the rear. It's really up to you. If you want to do it, then you should do it. If you don't want to do it then don't do it. It's nice sometimes, to be forced to work within strong limitations, though.

Do you like the script?

aside from the creative, my biggest advice if your just looking for experience is make sure they no what they are doing. If they arn't paying crew that is not a good sign....and the fact they expect you to use an arri light kit...

Do they have a good producer, an experienced AD? ...stuff like that. If they are professional and know how to get the shots they want in a reasonable time frame with reasonable days It's never that bad. In my experience on no-budget stuff if anyone gets paid its the crew first since they have the least to gain from the project and are going to be physically actually putting in the most labor.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with John; if there is no clash with the 12 days and you like the people as well sa the script then why not do it? There are some genuine causes out there that just need a littlehelp every now and again...

Steve

I have recently been offered to shoot a low budget feature (12k, 12 day shoot). It doesn't pay much, and I am really torn on shooting it. I will have to provide all my own camera gear (my DSLR Kit), and the lighting kit is very small and limiting (an arri light kit with about 4 lights, barely any grip/support gear).

I have recently been getting bigger and bigger jobs, some with grip trucks. I am worried that on this shoot, I will be limited both by the expertise of my crew, which will likely be barely paid, as well as the lighting package. Can anyone chime in on this?

Is it worth having a super low-budge feature under your belt? Or no?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Worth it means different things to everybody. You'll clearly not make any money so perhaps the questions to ask are: Is it a script that provides promising scenes and inspiration for you? Is it a situation in which you will do good work?

• 3 weeks later...