Hello guys. It is my first post in the forum. I need some advice/tips on a current film project I am working on.

I am using the 16mm Arriflex SR3 with a 250T film stock.

The scene is film outdoors, so I think I will shooting using a 85b filter as well.

Shot description: A close up of a woman with a holy effect(her head is heavily back lighted, which will 'portray' her like a saviour, i still want a fairly good exposure on her face, as long as I can see some facial details it would be okay).

The concern that I have is, the difference in exposure is too great such that her face will not be exposed or the natural lighting will be over exposed.

I am seeking for advice or suggestions on whether there is a need for concern and how do I achieve my shot?

Thank you so much for your kind attention. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe- use the natural sunlight to backlight and use a mirror to reflect a frontal light on her face- then diffuse that front light with diff- 129/250. or you can do the same if you have lights- a HMI wedged (bounce off poly then diffuse). Or reflect sunlight off poly and back it way back till to get the exposure you want for her frontal- though note ratio between back and front- backlight will only be as dramatic as low as your key is. A bounced bed sheet can also work wonders...

You can over expose by 2-3 stops on back sunlight and it will be fine. Unless of course she is blond...

JC