The two faces of Charlie Sheen

• Premium Member

When I saw the first image in this article about Charlie Sheen, Mr. Sheen looked awful.

When I scrolled down the page, I found an almost identical image of Mr. Sheen, the background is different but the clothing is the same, and Mr. Sheen looked much better.

The difference appears to be that the top picture used a flash and the result was a desaturated image that was very unflattering whereas the second image was straight on regular lighting used during the actual featured interview.

Here is a link to the article and the two images of Sheen.

When I saw the first image in this article about Charlie Sheen, Mr. Sheen looked awful.

When I scrolled down the page, I found an almost identical image of Mr. Sheen, the background is different but the clothing is the same, and Mr. Sheen looked much better.

The difference appears to be that the top picture used a flash and the result was a desaturated image that was very unflattering whereas the second image was straight on regular lighting used during the actual featured interview.

Here is a link to the article and the two images of Sheen.

Hence the reason that I HATE on-camera flashes. I use fast lenses and natural light for as much of my still photography as possible. People go, "Wow, that looks great! "How'd you do it?" And I'm not a great, or even good, photographer.

• Premium Member

Hence the reason that I HATE on-camera flashes. I use fast lenses and natural light for as much of my still photography as possible. People go, "Wow, that looks great! "How'd you do it?" And I'm not a great, or even good, photographer.

That flash helped created a really ugly purple color on Sheen's face. I seriously thought he was gravely ill until I saw the picture below where he looked like he had regular color and was slightly greasy.

An on camera flash isn't always that unflattering, it has the advantage of being a frontal, close to lens light - good for filling in deep eye sockets - of course it is often very harsh!

If only an on camera flash could be a bit bigger and softer!

My personal pet hate are those pre-flashes for cutting down red-eye, but it just make people blink and look drunk, especially me!

Regards,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...