How long did it take you to get established and start working as an AC

So I moved to LA about 8 Months ago. I have ACed a few small things but as of now I have been working at a TV Production company as a PA it is basically the only job I have found that is semi related to the industry. Now I have set my sights on landing an entry level job at a rental house.

I really want to work in the camera dept. I have contacted basically every rental house through email. Have had a couple interviews at Camtec for a driver position but still nothing. Next I am going to go to the rental houses in person and hand them my resume. During my down time I have also been reading up on cameras, as well as working on small shoots on the weekends whenever possible.

I understand that it takes time, persistence, networking, hard work just wanted to know if anyone else cared to share their experiences on this matter.

Thanks

Ben Goldberg wrote:

"So I moved to LA about 8 Months ago. I have ACed a few small things but as of now I have been working at a TV Production company as a PA ...... anyone else cared to share their experiences on this matter."

Hello Ben,

I highly recommend making a visit to Clairmont Camera in Burbank and meeting with Alan Albert.

He may not have any openings, but if he's impressed with you he will keep your resume on file and may very well get back to you.

Being open to moving to Alburqueque, Toronto or Vancouver will be a plus - make sure you have your passport up to date.

all the best,

-Jerry Murrel

DP

Little Rock

Edited by Jerry Murrel

If you are going to work in a rental house, you need to make a commitment for at least a year or two. When I first moved to LA, Allen Albert at Clairmont was the first person at a rental house that I met. He's a great guy. I ended up working at Armistead's and then Otto's. If you want to be a camera assistant, at least work your way up to being a prep tech and do that until you know the gear and how to put it together. Once you get on a set, you will find that working in a rental house is nothing like working on a set. But, when the first tells you to grab a piece of gear, you'll know exactly what he is talking about. I was a lens tech at Camtec and a lot of assistants came through there. Eventually, you will meet them all and one will put you to work. At lot of jobs are on the weekends so you may pick up some production work. I don't know if Dan Wood or Stu Weisbuch are still there but I have known them both for 20 plus years and you can learn a lot from both of them. Good luck.