The Canadian Monarchy, this one's for you, Richie!!!

James Steven Beverly

SSOOO I was watching South Park which is almost like watching the Discovery Channel and got to wondering, since Canada is part of the British Empire does Canada actually have a monarchy? Is there like a Duke or Duchess of Ontario? Are French Canadians ruled by a marquis? Did British Columbia ever sink Quebec's navy. The Canadian Monarchy, YES apparently, it really exists!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada#Canadian_Royal_Family

Now I know for all you Canadian, this was no surprise, but for me, it was a revelation. It never occurred to me there might be such a thing as Canadian royalty. I don't know WHY all I can think about is a comedy script. I don't know what it is yet, but I KNOW it's in there somewhere!! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Given that the British Empire doesn't really exist any more it would be hard for any nation, let alone Canada, to be "a part" of it.

Since the passing of the Canada Act 1982 (UK) and Constitution Act, 1982 (Canada) there have been no legal ties between the two nations. The same process occurred with the Australia Act 1986, and has happened in many other nations.

Indeed it's due to the Statute of Westminster 1931 that there can be a "Canadian Monarchy" - the Statute gave full legislative independence to the dominions who then assumed the British monarch as their own - hence Elizabeth II is the Queen of Canada who also just happens to be Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island and also Queen of Australia and also Queen of New Zealand and also etc etc

If you mock us James we're gonna come down there to Texas, New Mexico, where ever you are and deal with you. Have you ever heard of Americans that disappear as a result of the Canadian secret police? Of course you haven't we just make it happen and no one knows about it :)

As Jock pointed out we don't have our own monarchy, we share Britain's. And good for us, so we should! I'll have the Union Jack flying here on May 23rd as we celebrate queen Victoria's birthday, plenty of fireworks too!

I do think however that we should have a king and queen of Canada, that is all our own. The only way to choose our new royal family will be via a roll up the rim to win contest at Tim Horton's. Sorry only Canadians will get that joke.

R,

Um, why Victoria? Or do you celebrate other royal birthdays, too?

-- J.S.

Nope just hers, tradition.

R,

If you mock us James we're gonna come down there to Texas, New Mexico, where ever you are and deal with you. Have you ever heard of Americans that disappear as a result of the Canadian secret police? Of course you haven't we just make it happen and no one knows about it :)

OH GOD NNNOOOOO!!!! Not the dreaded CSP!!! Look I'm SORRY. It was a joke, I WAS ONLY KIDDING!!!! I heard those guys make the Gestapo and KGB look like Girl Scouts!!

As Jock pointed out we don't have our own monarchy, we share Britain's. And good for us, so we should! I do think however that we should have a king and queen of Canada, that is all our own. The only way to choose our new royal family will be via a roll up the rim to win contest at Tim Horton's. Sorry only Canadians will get that joke.

Damn RIGHT !!! THAT'S the kind of thinking that has made America....eerrr...Upper North American... GREAT!!! It MIGHT BE a bit presumptions of me but might I put forth a few nominations for the new Canadian monarchy. For King and Queen, Alan Thicke and Celine Dion, Earl of Nova Scotia, William Shatner, for the Countess of New Brunswick, Pamela Anderson and Duke of Alberta, can it be anyone but Micheal J. Fox??!!

I'll have the Union Jack flying here on May 23rd as we celebrate queen Victoria's birthday, plenty of fireworks too!

R,

And well you should, Best Monarch EVER (well, maybe except for Elisabeth the first who brought about the Renaissance and pulled humanity out of the Dark Ages but that was mostly just politics)!! Hail to the Queen, I'll light a Black Cat and sparkler in her honor on the 23rd as well! :D

Since the various constitutional reforms of the middle of the century, the Queen has been Queen of the Commonwealth realms separately, and not merely as a consequence of her accession in the UK. Her successor will be separately King of Canada, Australia, the other 13 realms and the UK.

Indeed, since the recognition is separate in each, it is conceivable that, in the event of a change in the law of male primogeniture in the UK, meaning that a first- born daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could succeed as Queen of the UK, a Commonwealth realm retaining the principle could decline to recognise her as Queen and have their younger son as King. However, it is very likely that all the realms would fall into line should such a possibility arise.

The Queen has a separate title in each realm. Her proper title in the UK is

'Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.'

Travelling in a black Zamboni I assume?

So you have seen them then.

FYI, Bin Laden was actually run down in Pakistan by the black zamboni you reference. We gave the credit to this seal team six, or whatever they are called.

R,

I KNEW IT!!! So THAT'S why Obama won't release the pictures!! If the terrorists get wind of Royal Canadian Black Zambonis manned by CSP elite commandos streaming across the the Afghani border into Pakistan, fearing certain annihilation, the Pakistani military would have no choice but to back-burner a long tern pan to draw India into a war and launch their entire nuclear arsenal against Western Saskatchewan in a strategic preemptive strike to prevent a full scale invasion of Canadian Special Forces back by French Trappers and The International Brotherhood of Canadian Zamboni Drivers, or Zam-Broes as one or two of them like to be called. Such an attack would no doubt result in a 3rd world war which would result in the virtual total destruction of million dollar desert hideouts and Zambonis worldwide and NO BODY wants that. :(

• Premium Member

Her proper title in the UK is

'Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.'

You do know where the royal style "Defender of the Faith" title comes from? Awarded to King Henry VIII by Pope Leo X. I understand Rome and Henry had a slight falling out at a later date.

• Premium Member

OH GOD NNNOOOOO!!!! Not the dreaded CSP!!!

Actually the ones you have to really worry about are the Estonian Secret Police. They know what you're thinking, even before you think it.... ;-)

-- J.S.

Well I'll say one thing, this is the most off-topic, off-topic, thread we've had on here.

R,

What??!! I SAID I was watching South Park when I thought of this. You know IIII COULD have posted this in On Screen or even since I told you I was developing a script on the subject (OK well after 2 shooters of cherry Svedka and 4 Fosters, I was considering, THINKING about writing a script), it could have gone in In Production.

Actually the ones you have to really worry about are the Estonian Secret Police. They know what you're thinking, even before you think it.... ;-)

-- J.S.

I did some research and there actually IS an Estonian Secret Police....Go figure, FORTUNATELY being a former Soviet Block satellite, they don't, as yet, have Black Zamboni technology. According to Solder Of Fortune (WHICH I have an lifetime subscription to in case some African democratic theocracy is overthrown by a charismatic warlord and I need a job at the time), Estonia won't have stealth fighters or Black Zambonis until 2018. SO not to worry, I'm on the case. I along with a few well placed associates can probably push that back to 2020. Of course, that's just between you and me. :ph34r: