Help on Scouting Locations

Hello,

I'm shooting my first mini-short in a month and I just have two question in regards of how to go about scouting locations.

1. When scouting for locations, does the cinematographer usually brings a gaffer with him? Is it recommended?

If so, should the gaffer come to all the different locations when they are being looked over or only when the location has been chosen for the production?

2. Do you begin scouting locations only when you know your shooting dates? Or is it arranged beforehand?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm shooting my first mini-short in a month and I just have two question in regards of how to go about scouting locations.

1. When scouting for locations, does the cinematographer usually brings a gaffer with him? Is it recommended?

If so, should the gaffer come to all the different locations when they are being looked over or only when the location has been chosen for the production?

2. Do you begin scouting locations only when you know your shooting dates? Or is it arranged beforehand?

Thank you!

if you don't have a lot of money, google earth is a powerful force multiplier

Usually the cinematographer goes once the locations have been selected, you can go through quite a possible locations before making your decision and this can take a few days, or even weeks. You may find your locations are only available on certain days of a week, e.g. over the weekend if you're filming in an office. You should start location hunting as early as possible, although some locations can end up being last minute affairs.

Once you've found them the DP and possibly the gaffer will attend. It can be worthwhile having the gaffer, especially if you're going to have problems regarding power and if it's going to be a complex lighting job, although they don't always attend. If they don't the DP will have to keep an eye on these things, so the gaffer knows what to expect.