How long do you expect to use your SDX900

Ed Nyankori

I have had moderate success shooting the DVX and have thought about investing in a SDX900; but I fear that cameras are becoming like computers, by the time you get it out of the box there's a better one available. Is there an educated demand for the SDX900 or are you competeing with DigiBeta/HD/DVX???? Thanks for any insight...

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I've always found that any camera 10,000 and under is rendered useless within 2 years. I'd of thought the 900 would keep you going for about 5 years personally.

A rule of thumb I consider every time I get the camera wants (which is not as often as it used to be, thank God) is that if I don't know if there's a demand for a certain camera, then it's kind of a moot point to buy one. Cameras don't make work suddenly appear.

But if your clients are demanding better quality and throwing more money at you, it's time to upgrade!

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Hi,

> I've always found that any camera 10,000 and under is rendered useless within 2

> years

No, you haven't! You've never owned a camera!

Phil

For a start that piece of information happens to come from someone that does and is an experienced DP. Secondly, how exactly do you know I don't own a camera? I don't own a professional one no, but I do read up about them.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• 3 months later...

I bought my 900 in December 2003. I plan on using it for another 3 years or so . I am waiting to see how this HD thing pans out. Currently most of my corporate clients still use SD. This cameras is my digital bridge to full out HD. This HDV stuff is interesting, however my clients want to see a big camera when they are paying top dollar for the project.

Cheers!

DR :)