after effect - flame - inferno

Ram Shani

hi

as a dp of music video's how deep should i dive in to the world of post in term of looks, effects.

i love to here how well you guys know's: after - flame-inferno-shake

ram

Edited by ramdop

hi

as a dp of music video's how deep should i dive in to the world of post in term of looks, effects.

i love to here how well you guys know's: after - flame-inferno-shake

ram

I'm not a dp, so I don't really count. I guess if you have a deep knowledge of "digital images" you can get behind what's done by the operator as much as you need.

As for the differences... I know all the mentioned apps quite well, being an operator myself. The main advantage of discreets FFI (flint/flame/inferno) is that their workflow is discbased. You don't have to make RAM previews to watch a clip in realtime. This makes those systems especially suited for works with lots of footage (and in this case I'd consider everything above 2 min. as alot). You can do very good colour grading on those systems (though one problem is that the highest possible bit depth is 12 Bit) and build some very complex effects/gradings/looks).

Quite a few of the systems running are however rather old (at that cost they have to run for some time), so CPU intensive stuff (blurs, filters, keys, etc.) might take some time to render unless they have a "burn" renderfarm in the background (which of course is quite expensive). But even then, the whole interface/workflow is designed for client attended supervised sessions and you notice when compare to AFX, etc. You might also want to consider discreets smoke/fire systems which are actually NLEs with most of the FFI features. I prefer those for conforming and basic grading work.

As for desktop apps such as AFX, Combustion and Shake... they work great for single short shots, where you don't have to deal with lots of footage. Some of them have nice features (Combustion has a great paint module, Shake partially supports floats and has a nice working schematic, and for after effects there are tons of plugIns). They might render purely CPU intensive stuff even slightly faster on highend workstations then many of the FFI counterparts, plus they are rather cheap. However their ram based workflow is just not the right approach when dealing then more then 2min of footage in supervised sessions.

ups... That were just a few generalised hints, there are of course much more details, but I won't bore you anymore....

-k