Vivitar 94P

Alyssa Duncan

Hello everyone! I'm a bit new to the whole filming thing and while I was at a second-hand store, I picked up an old circ. 1970s Vivitar 94P that runs on Super 8 film. Only problem is that there is no way to currently power it. The batter pack for the hand grip is missing, which means I can't charge it that way and the old DC charger has a sub-mini phono port, and I'd have no idea where to find one of those. Along with this, Vivitar is no help seeing as they switched owners in 2009 and didn't transfer information (As I was told by a Vivitar representative). Other than a webpage describing some of it's features and specs, I can't find a single bit of information on it. I was hoping someone on these forums might. Any info you've got would be great, or if you had information on how I might build myself a battery pack for this lovely thing, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks again!

Hi Alyssa, You can do one of two things. Try and fix it, or just go find another one that works. You can see by the majority of threads (my own)on this forum is getting old cameras to work. According to super8 data its a 6v (4 aa) camera with an exterior input . Go to an electronics shop, they will supply a battery pack and connector.(probably a micro mono plug)Should cost you about $5.00 to find out if it works.( an extra $10.00 you can maybe get a working camera off the net) My link

Cameras are still small money and I suggest look around for a new one that works or a gamble on ebay. If the handle is missing what else has been butchered off it.You wont regret getting a good camera. The results will speak for themselves

Hi Alyssa, You can do one of two things. Try and fix it, or just go find another one that works. You can see by the majority of threads (my own)on this forum is getting old cameras to work. According to super8 data its a 6v (4 aa) camera with an exterior input . Go to an electronics shop, they will supply a battery pack and connector.(probably a micro mono plug)Should cost you about $5.00 to find out if it works.( an extra $10.00 you can maybe get a working camera off the net) My link

Cameras are still small money and I suggest look around for a new one that works or a gamble on ebay. If the handle is missing what else has been butchered off it.You wont regret getting a good camera. The results will speak for themselves

Thank you for replying! I was worried no one had any idea what I was talking about. I have already bid on a Keystone Load-A-Matic crank Super 8 and I'm hoping I'll be able to work with that. If I ever have time to restore the Vivitar, I'll definitely check out some electronics shops around me versus building my own. Thank you!!

Ian's advice is solid; test the camera via getting power to it on the external port. You can use a universal power adapter to do this. Anyhow...those battery holders are often missing, since the standard type that hold 4 double A batteries fit a large variety of cameras. The CHINON made cameras which have the Pistol Grip Handle use the same type (note, not the sloped handle type that has the batteries load under a bottom door). Radio Shack (Tandy) have all kinds of small plastic battery packs, and used to carry a type that would work some years back. It has two power connectors on the top to connect with the two tabs in the handle's battery chamber.

Anyhow, yes, getting another camera is not a big problem, this lovely camera which can make fine images often sells very cheaply. However, on the online auction sites, you do have to factor in shipping costs as well. Good luck either way!

I thought the whole handle was missing.( I know its not now),Physically Take the camera into a radio shack or jaycar whatever electronics shop you have as Martin said and im sure you could figure out on the spot with the guy behind the counter a battery pack and walk out of the shop with it working, use their knowledge of circuits and electronics im sure it would just have a + and - to connect. Actually looks like a good 1st camera