Arriflex 435 noise.

Junior Corella

The other day i bought a Rammstein DVD who includes some Making Of of their videos, and all of them were filmed on Arriflex 435 and i noticed that this camera is very noisy.

My question is, all movie cameras (ARRI. Panavision, Moviecam etc...) makes this noise.

Thanks!

• Premium Member
The other day i bought a Rammstein DVD who includes some Making Of of their videos, and all of them were filmed on Arriflex 435 and i noticed that this camera is very noisy.

My question is, all movie cameras (ARRI. Panavision, Moviecam etc...) makes this noise.

Thanks!

The Arri 435 is a MOS camera that can shoot upto 150 FPS and should never be used when recording sound. An Arricam, Arri 535, Arri BL, Moviecam , Ultracam 35 and most Panavision cameras are very quiet .

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich Switzerland

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

The first time I ramped a 435 up to 150fps it scared the crap out of me! Talk about a noise!

At slower speeds it's not so bad. In a pinch I've even run an Arri 3 alongside the "A" camera at 24 fps, at a distance and heavily blimped.

What means MOS?

It means there is no sound recorded along with the picture.

Here is what MOS stands for: Mit out Sound.

and here is why: A take that is filmed without recording sound at the same time. MOS stands for "mit out sound"--it is purported that director Erich Von Stroheim couldn't pronounce "without sound" correctly due to his accent.

Thanks to IMDB for that great explaination of where Mit Out Sound came from!

• Premium Member
Thanks to IMDB for that great explaination of where Mit Out Sound came from!

Well there are different opinions on what MOS really means. Some which make more logical sense than Mit Out Sound. But let's not get into that again...

• Premium Member
The first time I ramped a 435 up to 150fps it scared the crap out of me! Talk about a noise!

At slower speeds it's not so bad. In a pinch I've even run an Arri 3 alongside the "A" camera at 24 fps, at a distance and heavily blimped.

Could you please describe your method (and degree of success) of 'blimping' the Arri 3?

Thanks.