Aspect Ratio in 8mm film to video tranfers?

Sean B

I recently got a couple of hundred old 8mm home movies transferred to DVD. I have had several problems with the company that did the transfer, but one of the problems was that all the film was severely cropped, cutting off almost 1/3 of the on screen image. I asked the company that did the transfer about this and they finally replied with "all our film is cropped to fit the 4 by 3 aspect ratio of television".

I am not all that familiar with the technical aspects of all of this- but to those in the know, does this sound right? The fact that all films will be cropped, thus much of the screen image in your precious family movies will be lost, is not prominently mentioned on their website (I can't find it at all, though they tell me its there). The images are SO severely cropped some of the transfers are completely useless to me, left and right is cropped as is horizontal and vertical. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a way around this to capture the full image on screen, like letterbox, etc?

Thanks...

Sean

Was it a 16:9 transfer ? do you watch the dvd on a 16:9 tv set ?

See, I'm not familiar with all this terminology. :( I have just a normal 27 inch TV set. The only info they provided was they "cropped the film to fit the 4 by 3 aspect ratio of television".

The images on the DVDs are severely cropped both horizontally and vertically.

Sean