Extreme Color Contrast

So I've always loved strong color contrast in shots, and you can see extremely exaggerated examples in this music video

I'm curious as to how much of that look people think was done with gels and how much was pushed in color correction? Do you think the green tones were added in during post, or did they really gel all those colors on set? I've attempted a similar look before, but It's extremely difficult to get skin-tones to render properly when you're throwing all different color sources around the scene. What do you guys think, and anyone have tips to achieving a look like this?

• Premium Member

Combination of well-chosen locations, a big orange backlight, and highish contrast photography.

Not complicated. This may be another instance of "shoot green objects", by which I mean that we used to get a lot of questions along the line of "how do I make it green, like Saving Private Ryan/The Matrix/Etc".

P

Combination of well-chosen locations, a big orange backlight, and highish contrast photography.

Not complicated. This may be another instance of "shoot green objects", by which I mean that we used to get a lot of questions along the line of "how do I make it green, like Saving Private Ryan/The Matrix/Etc".

P

Ah, Yes, I have definitely learned this principle through trial and error. A director recently was telling me he wanted all these different colors in the background and the foreground to be a completely contrasting color scheme, and I said, well do the homeowners give us permission to start painting stuff? I've found it extremely difficult to really make the colors you want without really good production design.

Anyway, it seems there was a lot of windows used in CC for this music videos to really crush out certain portions and tweak the colors, but I feel like most of the colors themselves were mostly photographed as-is and just enhanced a little bit in post.

well that does sound easy,although not easy while executing,but the thing still bothers me "HOW DO I LIGHT FACES AND CHARACTERS".Any light on that Phils.Would be realy helpful

thanks

P

Anyone know what they might have used as her key?

In the "making of" (and even in some shots of the video itself!) you can see some green sources in the frame... They might be Kino Flos, maybe even Chimeras or something similar... But they definitely have some Cinefoil around them to keep the light going down... But it looks to me like they created green pools of light around the dancers using these sources.

Would love to hear what people think they used to light her, though...

britney.jpg

britney2.jpg